Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

install stock cruise on a vn s-pack

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
hi guys. i have a new question for everyone. i have a 1990 vn s-pack. it has no cruise control currently. what i want to know is if i get the complete cruise control unit with the wiring and switches from the local wreckers should it be very difficult to wire it into my car? will i need anything extra? what would be really great is if someone has a wire chart or some kind of help for doing the wiring. cheers.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Yes it is pretty easy although you need the right hand switchblock for the controls ...that is a bit finicky as well as the two extra wires that go to the instrument cluster connectors.
Some cars have the cruise control wiring installed separate so look for these...they will be identified by the separate wiring loom coming out of the stepper motor and not taped into the main loom.
here's the circuit diagram

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
thank you for the help. sounds like i will go ahead with it then. and the wire diagram is GREAT cheers. so all i do is bolt the unit on the engine thread the wires through under the dash put the brake switch in and wire it and replace the dash switches for the cruise ones and wite them basicly.

ViperVp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
wear did you get the unit from? and how much was it if you don't mine?

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have not yet got the unit. i am going to pick one up from a local wrecker. from different wreckers in my area melbourne/vic/australia they seem to range round $220 - $250

rodge26

Reaction score
by any chance would the cruise control unit from a V8 fit on a V6

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Hi all,
I've done this mod to my '90 Series 1 V6 and it worked fine, only prob I encountered was the SET and RESUME buttons were wired in reverse, which I preferred anyway. Easy fixed by changing over the labels on the buttons, job done....

The wiring loom is available from Holden at around the 120 mark I think. As long as it comes with all the female pin connectors ready to push into the dash wiring blocks, it should be a peice of cake. Otherwise wiring into the blocks could be a little tricky as you will need the correct connectors and the correct crimping tool. Maybe a nice little job for your auto elec? But fitting them to the blocks will be dead easy using the wiring diagram.

Below is the link to the thread I originally commented on, this(along with the wiring diagram already supplied) should help give a picture of whats involved. I have some basic pics of the unit, loom, wiring to fuse box and the brake switches if someone would like me to post them on here also, someone just needs to ask. I have them on my PC at work and can post them tonight....while I'm on night shift. :eek:

As for fitting to a V8, I'm not sure, but reckon the only issue would be wiring into the dash if there was going to be a problem. Everything else should be alright I would think, as it's a straight bolt on for the control module and the throttle control.

All said and done, it's nice to have a factory accessory rather than a bolt on from Autobarn.... :)

Cheers.... :drink:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?p=37479#post37479

Last edited:

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
a posting of the pics would be GREAT. pics are always good lol. or to [email protected] also how much did all the parts cost you and from where? you said you bought the wire loom from holden did you get the rest from wreckers or what? thanx. just wondering as ive been quoted about $220 - $250 for everything from local wreckers.

stackner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
do you think it would also be possible to wire up a set of ford au cruise switches (that go on the steering wheel) to work the vn cruise control????

Attachments

• 28_1_b.jpg
    28_1_b.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 509

sharpeidog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec
Don't know about the Ford controls.... Thought about that myself, but decided to stick with the factory stuff. Could be messy and the audio controls would be wasted and therefore out of place?

I picked up everything I needed from a mate who was wrecking a VN for $170, a very casual half a day to fit it. I didn't purchase the loom, but did make enquiries and Holden said they could get it for around $110-$120. You will get it cheaper if you know someone that can get trade discount. $220-$250 doesn't sound bad, just make sure you get everything needed.

Some of the loom wiring goes to a couple of wiring blocks that the dash cluster plugs into. These blocks have other wiring as well, so be careful what they give you as it may get messy. I had the fortune of getting the blocks with all the non cruise wiring cut off. I just noted the wiring in the original blocks then extracted the cruise wires and then re-inserted them into the blocks in my car. As I remember, I had to do the same on the switch block plugs which needed some pretty fancy Stanley knife work to extract the connectors out of the old plugs.

I wanted to paste these images in, but not sure how to do it. :bang:

Let me know if you want any more info, will try and help if I can.

Here's some pics....

Attachments

• DSCF3051a.JPG
    DSCF3051a.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCF3053a.JPG
    DSCF3053a.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 478
  • DSCF3054a.JPG
    DSCF3054a.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 561
  • DSCF3056a.JPG