Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing 6x9's on the rear Parcel Shelf of my VE Omega....HELP please

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
had a 50 buck gift voucher for autobarn, and the only thing i found decent enough there to spend it on without blowing too much cash was a pair of Kenwood 350W 6x9's for $60......

firstly....i need to know how to remove the cover off my rear parcel shelf so i can asses how big i need to make the spacers and of course to fit the speakers in etc....

but more importantly, if anybody could explain how to wire them up then this would be much appreciated....

rookie at car audio, but i want to learn and do this myself.........

Cheers
Steve

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate i'm just going to go ahead and say don't do it.

I'm not 100% familiar with the VE range, but i'm fairly certain that you don't have any free output's for additional speaker connections. That means that you would have to disconnect the rear speakers that are currently in place, and then connect your new ones.

While that might sound simple enough whether it' actually worth doing or not is a different story. Being that the new speakers are only going to be receiving the same amount of power, the only way you could hope to get any improvement would be if the after market speakers have a higher sensitivity rating to that of the stock ones.

Even if it is the case, you need to take into account the distance of the rear speakers to your ears, and then think if you will even notice that your new rear speakers are only slightly louder than the ones that you just replaced.

But hey if you really must do it then by all means go for it, but don't expect to notice much, if any of a difference once your done that's all. Sometimes the only way to figure something out like this is to learn. Take you time and be careful, i'm sure if you think you can install and connect a set of speakers then you can figure out how to remove some trim sections.

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Well nobody was really much of a help on this one, so i just went ahead and did it anyways........and it sounds a sh!t load better

Firstly, I cut the holes out of my parcel shelf with a Stanley knife after tracing the stencil onto it.......mounted the speakers straight onto the shelf......easy enough

Wiring was where i took abit of extra time and a lot of effort:

First I found the wires that ran to the rear door speakers and cut them, then connected the new 6x9 speakers to them, soldered, electrical taped etc....essentially my 6x9's becoming my new rear speakers.........leaving my rear door speakers un-wired now at this point....

I then attatched spare electrical wire to the loose cut wire of the rear door speaker and ran it up to the front of the car, and into the front door to where the front door speakers are plugged into where the wired are attached, and attatched them to that connection....

This was done so that the lower quality speakers located in all for doors and the tweeters on the dash are now wired as FRONT speakers through the Audio Settings on my head unit, whilst ONLY the 6x9's are wired as the REAR

This now allows me to fade the speakers slightly to the rear, so that when i play my music at full blast the 6x9's in the rear can better cope with the bass, giving me much better clarity as well as greater volume

All in all, for $60, it has been a worthwhile cheap mod to make my pretty much stock audio system sound a whole lot better

SOMETIMES.....it's worth taking the plunge and doing it yourself, thank god this risk payed off, i could have screwed things up pretty badly

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
You have now effectively doubled the load to the head unit on the front channels , do not be surprised if 1 day you have no sound coming from any of your speakers.

Good to see you having a go but theres very good reasons why experts suggest not doing it generally , its not because we are lazy , just dont do dodgy things as a rule of thumb and proffessionalism.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sounds to me like you are now running the front channels at 2-ohms. Like KAL SPL said, I can't guarantee your H/U will last long.

And while I congratulate you on having a crack at it, I would advise you to immediately cut the back speakers wires. A new H/U will cost a pretty penny for a VE.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I would suggest if you are wanting to the connect the back door speakers upto the front channel to get a powered amp that can output all 4 speakers without placing additional load on the head unit.

The way it is connected WILL damage your head unit, in time.

If i was you i would go about pulling out all the stock speakers and replacing them with decent speakers (yes it may cost you) and putting in a amp (that does not have to output heaps of power) to power the front and rear door speakers.

That way the front channel on the head unit doesn't die due to the strain.

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
You have now effectively doubled the load to the head unit on the front channels , do not be surprised if 1 day you have no sound coming from any of your speakers.

Good to see you having a go but theres very good reasons why experts suggest not doing it generally , its not because we are lazy , just dont do dodgy things as a rule of thumb and proffessionalism.

He has effectively done nothing of the sort!

He went to great detail to describe the wiring he changed, that should give you a hint...

There shall indeed be sound for years to come, good on ya for having a go, very rare quality these days unfortunately.!>.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
He has effectively done nothing of the sort!

He went to great detail to describe the wiring he changed, that should give you a hint...

There shall indeed be sound for years to come, good on ya for having a go, very rare quality these days unfortunately.!>.

you're an idiot.

I'm amazed you can even figure out how to use a computer.

he wired the rear speakers in parallel with the fronts.

he has done exactly what KAL SPL said!

I then attatched spare electrical wire to the loose cut wire of the rear door speaker and ran it up to the front of the car, and into the front door to where the front door speakers are plugged into where the wired are attached, and attatched them to that connection....

This was done so that the lower quality speakers located in all for doors and the tweeters on the dash are now wired as FRONT speakers through the Audio Settings on my head unit, whilst ONLY the 6x9's are wired as the REAR

how the hell can you possibly read that incorrectly?

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
you're an idiot.

I'm amazed you can even figure out how to use a computer.

he wired the rear speakers in parallel with the fronts.

he has done exactly what KAL SPL said!

how the hell can you possibly read that incorrectly?

I must have cut & pasted incorrectly hehehe.

Hey by the way, um.. mate - you seem to have some 103 posts and you haven't gotten round to reading the forum rules yet?

Might want to reel it in there.../IG