Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing auto transmission v6 vt commodore

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
Ive always jacked up the trans on a trolley jack so its roughly around the height it needs to be to fit onto the engine, and then just roll it forwards onto the engine until its fully mated. You will need at least two people to do it without damaging anything or hurting yourself..A bit of wiggling around side to side and up and down helps get it into place properly on the engine. You can also just lift it up into position on the engine, but its harder this way, 3 people make it a hell of a lot easier.

thanks brett, you help me so much lately it aint funny.

im definetly gonna bring it down and start over and reposition it on the jack and do as you said just roll it forward.. i did have the intention to do that in the start but the scissor jacks got in the way and before i knew it was sliding off and oh jee it was hectic we saved it though me and my brother we used all our might to lift it put it back on the jack hahah

my mate gets home about 5 tonight so well have a crack then, be better anyway its 40 degrees today here in adelaide :/ it will atleast have cooled down a little by then

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
No worries mate, glad I can help out a bit. The only place you can really get it wrong is with the converter, theres no need to completely remove it again, just be sure to turn it by hand whilst pushing it back into the trans, you will feel it move or "click" back a couple of times if its not already in its proper position...

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Great f$%^king progress today, got the transmission so close to pushing on and then the whole thing f%$kn dropped on me thankgod there was a cushion to catch the fall of the transmission and i didnt damage it.

I just dont understand, ive tryed balancing the trans on the jack the best i can it always goes to fall one way or the other it doesnt matter how i have it on the jack its absoloutely doing my head in!! i just broke an oxygen sensor as well from the trans dropping...

My mates are as useless as tits on a bull, and help more by watching. im really f$%kn stuck here, there has to be an easier way i mean is there like something you can get to attach to ya jack to help balance the trans? ive tryed wood, bricks, extra jacks... nothings working for me and it dont make it any easier by myself :(:(

sorry bout me rant, im just fuming. this is yet my biggest challenge so far...

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
do you think i could place the transmission on my garage creeper, and sort of chain it to it and then jack up the creeper with the transmission and try slide it on that way? i just dunno running out of ideas?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Some hints in here. Different transmission, same principle.

You should be right with your transmission sitting on a hydraulic jack with a piece of timber underneath it. A creeper would just get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks mate, would be good if i had something to use as long guide pins as he has, hes switched on.

hes living it up having 2 blokes just lift for him.. i think ill have to round up a couple sets of hands and just get them all to lift it up and hold while i bolt it on.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just get some fairly long strong stud, put a nut on it to hold it in place, and there is your guide pins.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i got the trans on the car, the wiring connectors connected and the flex plate bolted to the torque converter..

i have hit 2 more snags though :/

i cant seem to connect the trans cooler lines, there just not threading in at all they go a tad tight then just pop out im not up for replacing the trans lines as well am i? ive had a few mates have a crack and they couldnt get it either...

also the gear shift selector plate on the passenger side of the transmission, i hooked up all the gear selector etc, but it doesnt seem to wanna fit properly. it is also extremely tight when trying to change from park to reverse.

any ideas lol?

*edit* im a bit drunk, dont mind my half **** explanation.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
The trans lines are always the hardest, they should go in but it can take me up to 30mins to get them both on and iv done heaps of these.
They have to be perfectly lined up, this could even mean banding them a little to have them on the right angle.
just make sure they thread in by hand once they hit that sweet spot and dont force them to screw in as you will have a bad leak then

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
The trans lines are always the hardest, they should go in but it can take me up to 30mins to get them both on and iv done heaps of these.
They have to be perfectly lined up, this could even mean banding them a little to have them on the right angle.
just make sure they thread in by hand once they hit that sweet spot and dont force them to screw in as you will have a bad leak then

well that makes me feel better.. ill have another play with it tommmorrow.

i thought i threaded them out or something but im glad to hear other people found them hard to.

what do you reckon about the really stiff gear selector when changing through P R N D 3 2 1?
have i just got the gear selector all setup wrong you reckon? once again i think i might need to play with it :/