Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing auto transmission v6 vt commodore

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
well that makes me feel better.. ill have another play with it tommmorrow.

i thought i threaded them out or something but im glad to hear other people found them hard to.

what do you reckon about the really stiff gear selector when changing through P R N D 3 2 1?
have i just got the gear selector all setup wrong you reckon? once again i think i might need to play with it :/

So if the cooler lines dont tighten nice with a spanner dont force him in? Alrighty.

Any ideas on the gear shifter being stiff n tight going through PRND321

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id remove the shift linkage again and then refit it to make sure its fitted correctly and that nothing is binding up in the linkages, something might have been bent slightly when the trans fell. The workshop manuals dont say much about the linkage either, they just talk about adjusting the neutral/reverse switch, and making sure that the engine will only start in park or neutral.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
make sure the link rod isnt bent.
make sure the gear selector shaft is moving into each gear
make sure the selcector module isnt binding up.

If i was you id take the link off and try each piece separately to see whats causing the resistance.
its either your gear stick, gear selector shaft or the electronic selector plate.
if they all move fine then something isnt lining up right when its all back together

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
everything is all bolted on and ready to be started, just cant start it yet cause i dont got tranny fluid :(:( and the trans is bone dry..

i worked out with the lines that if i disconnected them from the radiator and all the little clips etc holding them on it was so much easier to maneuver around and connect up to the trans...

with the gear shift linkage i had it all on backwards... what a twat i am..

i just gotta go get another bolt from the wreckers that bolts the bell housing to the engine... i lost one lolol...

Pumba83

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt s-pack supercharged
Question for ya I Gota bolt my auto up to rebuilt donk, do I need to put any oil into torque converter before fitting or install it dry?

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Question for ya I Gota bolt my auto up to rebuilt donk, do I need to put any oil into torque converter before fitting or install it dry?

im not sure mate my trans wasnt recoed just one from the wreckers..

my torque converter had oil in it though i could hear it when i spun it around by hand.

Trevjh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Hey mate. Ive recently put my tranny back in without doing the 2-3 click process. Is it possible to back the tranny off and find the clicks on the torque converter? Or will i need to get another tranny?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
well if u have installed it all, and the car has been driven with no faults, then chances are it was all lined up properly. i wouldnt think that the bellhousing could completely mate up with the engine block unless the t/c was installed in its correct position. if however, u pulled the trans up to the block with all the bolts and u could feel resistance while doing so...then i dare say u have damaged something in the trans, either the input shaft splines or the t/c itself.

If it all mated up nicely without u needing to pull it together with the bolts (apart from the last 10mm on the dowels), then it would have been lined up properly. but given u have already bolted it all together, if something was out of place, then the damage has been done and unbolting it unfortunately wont change this.