Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing brake pads - vp calais

ben k

ben
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2
gday fellas
realise this is a very simple procedure to some of you...need to install a new set of brake pads on my fronts...apart from changing/refilling liquids don't know or do too much to my car. So a basic guide in some simple english would be much appreciated if anyone can be bothered.

might need a new disc brake as well for the front left after hearing a slight grinding sometimes coming from the the area....was going to get it checked next week as I have zero time to make it to a mechanic and can't give my car up due to my work....however after having a look down there for the 3rd or fourth time noticed the disc itself is grinding away...i know, very bad....does this just mean no pad at all left? if so, im a ******** yer

any help much appreciated
thanks
ben

ben k

ben
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2
*have already searched the forum before i made this thread, couldn't find exactly wat i was after

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I havnt technically installed new brake pads before, but I have taken off the brake calipers and taken the pads out and put them back in.

1. Jack Car up and remove wheel.
2. Locate the 2 bolts holding the caliper onto the strut, undo them.
3. Slide the caliper off the rotor and remove the brake pads.
4. Install new brake pads.
5. Do the above procedure in reverse to put it back together.

There is a brake bedding technique that is supposed to be undertaken after installing new brake pads, I can't say I know this technique.

Hope that helps a bit, if I missed anything please fix it.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
It isnt a hard procedure.

What youll need:

** Jack
** Axcle Stand(s)
** Tire Iron
** 2 Spanners, im pretty sure its 14, 17mm, i cant remember!
** Caliper Compressor (Piston Pusher) (about $10) from superchaep
** New Pads (around $30 - $70)
** Cable Ties
** Grease, high heat preformance

1. Crack Nuts

2. Jack one side of car up

3. Place on axle stands

4. Remove Nuts

5. Remove Wheel

6. Using your spanners, undo the retaing calper bolts located on the caliper not the disc. The caliper mounting bolts are 19mm i think and there on the bcak of the disk, this isnt them! You want the caliper bolts, they require two differnt sized spanners to remove them.

7. Remove old pads

8. Place one old pad into the caliper, meat side away from piston, against the piston.

9. Using the piston pusher, compress the piston back into the caliper. DO THIS VERY SLOWLY as youll run a risk of damaging the master cyclnder.

10. Remove pusher and old pad.

11. Install new pads into the caliper mounting bracket ensureing there both facin the right way up and correctly seated with the meat against the disk (some people forget)

12. Remove the guide pins from te caliper (the bolts you removed slot into these, they have rubber boots, they pull out.

13. Remove all old grease from the pins and then re-grease them, ensure this is compleeted accuratly

14. Reinstall Guide pins

15. Reseat caliper onto strut ensureing correct mounting and that the harmonic springs (pressure springs) seat correctly onto the caliper.

16. Refit mouting bolts and tighten slightly each end until torque setting reached, dont just do one end then the other, its like wheel nuts, alternate evenly. Torque setting = fairly ****ing tight.

17. Refit Wheel

18. Refit Nuts

19. Lower Car and tightne nuts again

20. Reapet on other side

When not using caliper, fix to sway bar using cable ties to ensure no strain is put onto 20year old rubber hosing lines.

Before starting your car: Pump the brake pedal until firm response is felt! It will firm eventually.

DO NOT: Remove both calipers at the same time! You may run risk of pushing piston from caliper when you compress the other. Normally, the dsik provides a firm pressue point for a piston to push against, remove it and it will come out. One side at a time.

Someone else can explain how to change a rotor.

aZk.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
To bed your pads in.....

Accelerate to 10kmh, slow to 5.

Drive 500m

accerate to 40kmh, slow to 10kmh

Drive 500m

accelrate to 60kmh, slow to 10kmh

Drive 500m

accelerate to 60kmh, slow to 10kmh

Then gentle braking for the next 500-1000km

While bedding, DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP!!!

Slow to 10kmh or so as it will prevent heat spots and uneaven wear.

Bedding is important! Do it, it only takes 10mins or so.

aZk.

ben k

ben
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2
thanks heaps lads but given up before i even tried...the story of my life haha

all panels and parts up at lonsdale are doing new brake pads all round and 2ndhand machined rotor installed for $120...those guys do cheap as **** deals all the time...get pretty much all my work done there

rang round a few other places and got prices varying from $180 through to $420....guess having ur own wrecking yard helps.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats not too bad.... still, could have done it cheaper and better yourself mate.

I used to get mechanics to do all my ****, now i just do it myself and its all good.

ITs cheaper, its faster, on your terms, you knwo your car better, you know your not gonna screw yourself over... its all good!

Technically, they could just machine your rotors good again, which they proably just did ayway, that costs nothing for them... plus the pads and labour...

so;

Cheap Pads: $40

They just made $80 for an hours work... thats pretty good.

aZk.

ben k

ben
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais S2
never had a problem with all panels and parts neither have any of my friends who use them on a regular basis. not trying to start an argument you are quite right about the cheapest price but yer i trust these guys due to previous experiences