Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing cd player

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
qwertsta said:
This might sound stupid but what the hell is an earth:whistling
earth is the same as a ground, it is the exit you could say for the power, it allows the power to complete the circuit and get back to the power souce (battery), if it is not earthed/ground well it wont make a good conection causeing the CD player or device to work. hope this helps yah under stand what it is:thumbsup:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
there is metal framing under the dash that the original HU was bolted too as an anti-theft idea. you should be able to earth to that.

also VL Berlina 5speed is correct with the wiring, its just on stereo's the constant power is yellow. hence the reason you don't go colour to colour with the two power wires. the stereo will still work but everytime you turn it or the car off the stereo will reset itself as it doesn't have any power to retain memory.

the reason you can't get it working at all is either a fuse or bad earth.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
This info courtesy of calaisturbo, it saved my ass several times.

Orange: This is the power wire, it leads to Fuse Number 8..
Pink: For the Power antenna, not on all models, goes to Power Antenna Module
Black/White Tracer: Earth, leads to an earth point
Yellow: Accessories, so the radio turns on when the car duz.
Tan: L H F Positive
Light Green: R H F Positive
Brown: L H R Positive
Dark Blue: R H R Positive
Light Blue: all speaker Negative
Grey: Leads to Cigarette Lighter and Climate Control Switch

To hook up a CD player, this is a guide for which wires to hook up... (may not be the same for all CD players)
Original Wiring - CD player wiring
Black/White - Black
Orange - Yellow
Yellow - Red
Light Blue - black (or all 4 speaker negatives, white, green, grey, violet all with black tracers)
Tan - White
Light Green - Grey
Brown - Green
Dark Blue - Violet
Pink (if appic) - Blue/White
_______

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Ok this is all confusing... My car only has these colour wires:
*red
*black x2
*yellow
*blue
*grey
*grey with black stripe x2

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
open the glovebox and on the very right hand side you will see a squarish hole with all the wires running through inside it, you will find all the colours there, (its what I had to do). also note that after 20 or so years the colours of the wires are extremely faded but the ones in the glovebox should still be well coloured.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
heres, what you want to do. get a test light from any auto place or electrical place, supercheap will have one im sure.
an 'earth' is the negative path of electricity, basically the black wire connected to the negative ' - ' battery terminal leads to the metal body of the car, making the whole car a big earth, connecting the negative wire to the - battery terminal would be the same as connecting it to the car body.

back to the light, (ignition all the way off) put one end on an earth and the other wire to a wire, keep testign the wires until you find one that lights up, that one will be your 12v supply
turn accessories on or the ignition on and repeat till you find the other wire that lights up (not the same one as before) that one will be your accessories and just solder another wire to some metal as an earth or screw or use origional whatever.

hope that helps

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Today i got bored and tried installing the cd player again. I went over the car and i noticed i had blown a fuse. So i replaced that, and went all over the car and couldnt find a orange wire. So i just placed the black to earth, yellow to red and red to yellow. I have power, tho after a couple of seconds the cd player shut's down, eg. Put a cd in it, all the light's come on the player pull's the disc in and the cd player say's "loading" for a split second and then shut's down. I can eject the cd also but the system shut's down as soon as it has finished ejecting.
So what do you guy's think?

warney

did you say bukakki party
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL skid car what else are they built to do
earth, clean the metal with sand paper or alike , needs a better earth id say

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
The reason it's shutting off is because you have connected switched ignition to B+ on the head unit. Ignition does not supply enough current to operate the unit properly. You need to make sure the yellow wire on your head unit goes to a constant 12V source (your battery) even when the keys are removed from ignition. The red wire on your head unit needs to go to switched ignition. This wire has 12V on it when you turn the keys to accessory. I suggest you invest in a $10 multimeter from dick smith, as any type of electrical diagnostics is pointless without one.