Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing exhaust systems

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Overall how difficult is it to install a full exhaust system including cats and headers on the LS3?

I have done things like brakes, lowering car etc but never done a full exhaust and was wondering if I’d run into issues with engine codes etc?

Has anyone done it themself or is it worth paying to have installed.

Asking due to looking at buying a Diffilipo exhaust online.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
easy as with right tools and knowledge of process. save your cash and do it yourself.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
would be a lot easier if you had access to a lift, and a second set of hands
you will throw codes for rear o2 sensors and require a them to be tuned out

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
second the notion of a lift and an assistant. Sometimes you might need to heat and bend parts too, if they are not well produced. I opted for mine to be done at Walkinshaw, but have fitted most of these types of things myself, be patient, work slow...it can be done.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Overall how difficult is it to install a full exhaust system including cats and headers on the LS3?

I have done things like brakes, lowering car etc but never done a full exhaust and was wondering if I’d run into issues with engine codes etc?

Has anyone done it themself or is it worth paying to have installed.

Asking due to looking at buying a Diffilipo exhaust online.
I bought a full 3" difilippo exhaust online and fitted at home, had the front of the car sitting on axle stands.. hardest part was undoing the front o2 sensor plugs as there isnt much room to stick your hand in behind the engine. The rest of the install was pretty straight forward.

Use the original header gaskets or buy genuine.. the ones difillipo supply are crap. Other than that highly recommend difillipo!

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
It’s easy to do your self,back car up on stands,vehicle in park or in gear and park brake on,undo and remove header bolts but leave one in each side and remove plugs,jack front up ,use two jacks makes it easy,use two stands on blocks of wood and rip into it,it’s easy by your self but better with competent second hands,hardest part is undoing dr side censor but other than that it’s just undo bolts remove old parts from back to forward and put on new parts front to rear,bolt up new exhaust loosely to make sure it all lines up then secure it all up,before you bolt on new headers fit the censor extenders first it makes it so much easier with room to move then bolt up new headers and exhaust and tune as soon as possible before car throws a cel lite if you haven’t neutered you back censors already.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Oh I forgot to mention have front wheels straight and undo bolt on stearing knuckle pull back and push knuckle into the stearing shaft and move out of the way for more access for headers to slip in.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
seems like the headers are the hardest thing especially the drivers side, just make sure you get the same brand the whole way through, if you have different brands they often dont match up

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
I was going to do all the fitment of the exhaust myself along with the otr. In the end by the time I purchased the full 3" Diffilpo system,otr and then had it tuned it was the same price to just have a joint like C@A Auto fashion or one of the other shops fit it for me. The cheapest I could find the full system was about $4250 and another $650 for otr. Then the cost of the tune. I think it was actually cheaper to have someone fit it for me. Or I'm going about it all wrong
Please redirect me to the cheaper options as I love to save a few bucks!

Last edited:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
I purchased my di filippo through c&a - if i recall correctly, the fitment wasnt expensive at all - figured theyve fitted them once or 100 times before and for the small extra cost, it wasnt worth my time to do it myself