Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing gauges into an SS induction gauge holder need help.

Jemmo5ltr

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
hey guys has anyone got one of those VY ss induction gauge holders? i got a few questions about gettin the gauges to sit in there.
how do you actually get teh guages to stay in a snug fit there are no attachments with the gauges i brought that can hold them in there?? also need help with the wiring up on my water temp gauge. cheers!

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
hey guys has anyone got one of those VY ss induction gauge holders? i got a few questions about gettin the gauges to sit in there.
how do you actually get teh guages to stay in a snug fit there are no attachments with the gauges i brought that can hold them in there?? also need help with the wiring up on my water temp gauge. cheers!
sounds like u have the exec fitment? if that is the case u will need to get a plate to hold it in place.

water temp do u mean oil temp? as most i have seen have the oil temp

Jemmo5ltr

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
sorry mate whats exec fittment?? and nah its a water temp gauge its one of those drift gauges

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
sorry mate whats exec fittment?? and nah its a water temp gauge its one of those drift gauges
it means its for an executive and some of the holdens range had different fitmets ie coin holder there, and sounds like thats whats goin on,
is it geuine?

Jemmo5ltr

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
i reckon your thinking bout the wrong thing mate im talking about an after market gauge holder that sits above the climate control in VY's mine is a berlina

Jemmo5ltr

Adrian
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
any help at all ppl?? really wanna get this gauge in n wired up tonight.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
hey jemmo I've just done mine.

Archer is on the right track, but he is thinking of the VZ model, which came with a bin up there.
whereas VY's just had a blanking plate.

I bought autometer guages for mine, and they came with the gauge holders. so it was a matter of running the loom down to the 12volt just below the stereo, and wiring up the gauges.

you could try glue or silicone to keep the gauges in place, otherwise you will have to shell out for the holders, you can get them from autobarn or repco.

Tyson23

S-pack baby ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series II S-pack Ute M5
so it was a matter of running the loom down to the 12volt just below the stereo, and wiring up the gauges

Hey mate,
how did you find the 12v down below the stereo? a diagram or

thanks

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
I think he actually means how do you get the gauges to sit snug in the holder itself, not how the holder fits onto the dash...

If thats how I'm reading it then the gauges should come with a U-shaped bracket which mounts around the back and side of the gauge and clamps the gauge into the back of the holder. I personally wouldnt glue the gauges into the holder!

Question - if I were to install oil temp and oil pressure gauges where can you get the feeds from?

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
you'll need to swap the OEM oil pressure sender unit to one that should come with your gauge. Should be near the oil filter. However its advised to look for an adapter plate (such as on ebay or have one made) so you can use both the OEM and aftermarket sender.

if you use the aftermarket sender, you wont get a warning light on your dash if your pressure drops. if you use the stock OEm sender on an aftermarket gauge, it wont read correct.

To use an oil temp gauge you would either use one of those adapters for the pressure gauge, as there are usualy 3 or 4 holes for senders, or weld a thread into the oil pan same size as sender unit