Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing HSV Senator subs and speakers in my Omega

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Upgrading the speakers alone mate isn't really worth it, the standard headunit is horrible!!!

You reckon I'll get no enhancement huh. Well I guess I'll find out. They had to be done anyway. Head unit can come later if I need to.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
At least get an amp. Depending on what speakers you get, aftermarket speakers may actually sound worse running off the HU with no amp, not to mention that if the speakers aren't getting enough power (I think the stock HU puts out 50W per channel? Enough for the stock speakers, or low end aftermarket speakers) they can be damaged. Its expensive, and a lot of work, but its worth it. A couple of years back I put a new head unit and speakers in my car. (I don't have a VE, but thats beside the point) Speakers are rated at 65W, from memory, and my HU puts out 50W per channel. It worked, but it wasn't until later on when I got the amp (which puts out 75W per channel) that the new speakers really sounded as good as I hoped they would.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
At least get an amp. Depending on what speakers you get, aftermarket speakers may actually sound worse running off the HU with no amp, not to mention that if the speakers aren't getting enough power (I think the stock HU puts out 50W per channel? Enough for the stock speakers, or low end aftermarket speakers) they can be damaged. Its expensive, and a lot of work, but its worth it. A couple of years back I put a new head unit and speakers in my car. (I don't have a VE, but thats beside the point) Speakers are rated at 65W, from memory, and my HU puts out 50W per channel. It worked, but it wasn't until later on when I got the amp (which puts out 75W per channel) that the new speakers really sounded as good as I hoped they would.

I can't see him damaging speakers if they exceed the minimum standards, stock speakers are around 20watt 2ohm. Doing speakers are fine now,Amp can be done next and they can be cheap, just be a head duck (spell check) wiring them up and having it look neat. For me doing the Amp is a 3 days job, 2 days drinking beer planning it and one day doing it.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
I can't see him damaging speakers if they exceed the minimum standards, stock speakers are around 20watt 2ohm. Doing speakers are fine now,Amp can be done next and they can be cheap, just be a head duck (spell check) wiring them up and having it look neat. For me doing the Amp is a 3 days job, 2 days drinking beer planning it and one day doing it.

I reckon I could do these speakers myself but the amp may be a job for someone else. Unless I find a pretty comprehensive how-to somewhere for a VE sedan.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I reckon I could do these speakers myself but the amp may be a job for someone else. Unless I find a pretty comprehensive how-to somewhere for a VE sedan.

Just a thought, do front and back passengers side first, then if you sit in the car and can hear that side over the drivers side you will know you haven't wasted your dough.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Just a thought, do front and back passengers side first, then if you sit in the car and can hear that side over the drivers side you will know you haven't wasted your dough.

I might just do one of the rears, set it for rear speakers only, and see what the difference is.

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Just an update - I installed one of the new rear speakers. I tested and unfortunately, the original speaker that was in there sounds better! I swapped it back, closed it up and now I have front and rear speakers for sale. Brand new.
Unfortunately this was a waste of time. :(

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Imo if your not really worried about really good sound quality, just buy a cheap sub already in a box for around $150.
Then buy a cheap amp to run the sub $100. Get jb hifi or some one simular to wire it up.
Turn the bass right down on your standard speakers and run all the bass through your sub.
It wont win any sound quality comps but it would be loud, bassy and reasonably clear.

The aftermarket speaker you have wouldnt be getting enough power.