Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing New Radiator

jippa3000

Reaction score
Hey guys I have done a search and I could'nt find anything to help, so I am just after a run down on how to take out my old radiator(VR V6) and what else I need a part from the new radiator itself to install it?
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
will need new coolant, undo rad hoses top and bottom, undo 2 tranny fluid lines(if auto), unplug thermo fan wires, take out the two clips holding rad in, instal reverse making sure rad is in bottom holes. Hope this helps, it was off top of head, i took a vn one out on the weekend.

jippa3000

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help man, how long would you say it takes?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Probably too late but it may still help (someone else?).

Will need to bleed cooling system by raising coolant level above height of bleeder nipple which is on the thermostat housing. Use a plastic bottle with the base cut off and the neck wrapped in electrical tape to form a seal in the radiator fill point.

Use the appropriate coolant only (genuine is good, if a little pricey) and add the genuine cooling system tablets to preserve the water pump seal.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Would take an hour with a broken arm.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
yeah its not a long job but if its you frist go, take your time.
make sure you don't do it if you have prior arrangements cause its bad to put pressure on yourself and not do the job right.
Take it from an old man I get my tools out, get a comfortable seat, my workshop manual just in case I hit a problem, a can of degreaser (great for cleaning the hands before touching the manual), a stack of old rags.
I then step through what I am going to do in my head, check it all out and go through it at my leisure.
Its good to stop for a cuppa in the middle.
Sounds like **** to some but I can do most things on my own car and have for more than 35 years.