Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing springs in a VXII...?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sure does. I nearly shat a brick when the guys at Bob Jane showed me. I thought my car nearly slipped of the hydraulic jack.

Packdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim II
Ahh spewing when the answer is so simple! Oh well.

Its done now, quite happy with the height too, much neater but will be able to tow no worries and the ride is still comfy!

Aany clues on the bearing thing?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
The bearing fell to pieces, meaning it is stuffed, buy a new one, do both sides as well as your strut mounts.
The way to tell if your strut mounts are gone is, the sleeve (where the strut shaft goes through) should be below the level of the outer part of the strut mount, if it is above, then it is worn and needs replacing. (this should definitely be done if you can see cracks forming around the sleeve when you flex it with a screw driver.
As for the camber kit, you need a 2 point kit.
I have a 4 point kit and just added the toe adjusters, like in your VX II and was told by pedders that a 4 point kit is an overkill and i need to make it a 2 point kit so that the bushes don't wear too quickly.
The camber kit will adjust camber, while the toe adjusters will adjust... well you know.

Packdaddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim II
Yeah you're right, I'll change the bearings when i get round to it.
This sleeve you're talking about - is it the soft rubbery sort of cone shaped thing? It seemed to be alright if so...
And how much is a 2 point camber kit worth? Whats the different between that and a four point kit?

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Holden Commodore VR-VT,VX-VZ Strut Mount & Bearing Kit - eBay, Other, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 21-Feb-10 22:08:30 AEDST)
if you are going to do it, buy this, I wish I got mine this cheap when I did it. From Holden or any other retailer, you are looking at $150+. One thing to look at is that they superseeded the bearing due to these premature failure problems. The old one has 'Germany' engraved in it, while the new one does not. I don't know the real difference between the two, but if you look into it, they have different part numbers. If you aren't worried about it, just go for these.

As for the mounts, you can see that inner section, then a smooth gap before the outer part, that's what I'm talking about. If it's worn, this inner section will be above the level of the outer part. The outer part doesn't wear, by that I mean those rectangular notches won't wear.

alexlove

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx/vp berlina
hahaha same thing happened to me, but i relised straight away that the handbrake was on when my springs wouldnt come out

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
im a little confused because the VX is IRS in the rear so there is no panhard rod. this was only for the solid axles found in vs and older.

when i did mine i just got a big bar and pushed the control arm down. springs then popped out, from memory on wide side i disconnected the drive shaft ws no special tools needed just unbolts from the diff.

creak could be anything, if you have used stock sstruts then that could be issue, coul;d be a worn bush that is more aobvious now ause it is working more, also fron tsprings have a left and right did you make sure you put them on the correct side?