Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Sub/Amp in VP

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Fazz1977

i hope you like upgrading amplifiers regularly
the vibrations from the sub will reduce the life of the soldier joints in the PCB for the amp, as a result insted of the soldier joints lasting 50 years like they're ment to they might last 1-5 years, seen it happen before, vibrations dont do amps any good alot of people will say "it dosnt matter" and wonder why their amp breaks after like 2 years.. ive had to resoldier joints on a amp that my brother which he was using bolted to his box...

never drill through the firewall, they're is a grommit there anyway as someone pointed out,

running the 12V constant down one side of the car and RCA/12V accessory line down the other will eliminate noise in the line as the 12v current can cause magnetic interfearance as the ammount of current is pretty high....certianly enough to kill you if exposed in the right spot

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hmm,

The previous owner of my car has run the power and rca's down the same side of the car and I don't have any interference at all, and I run two amps, and a free air sub.

I was going to change it when I upgraded the head unit and the front splits but it didn't make a difference.

Strange how it seems to create problems in one car and not another.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i ran all the wires down the same side once.. got told off by a mate.. i didn't notice any difference. even though these days i do run all wires away from the the power wire. just the make sure.
i had a kenwood bolted to my sub box.. i wonder why it started playing up. hahaha. stupid me.. why didn't i think of that..

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
In case you hadn't noticed, the amp is actually in a car, and anyone familiar with victorian roads knows how bumpy they are, this creates vibrations, compared to this anything the sub does is insignificant.

The amp is mounted on rubber feet anyway, the vibrations from the engine creates more movement that the sub it's self. Anyway, a properly sealed box (anyone using a ported cab in a car is crazy, lower SPL and all) won't vibrate, not if it's built correctly. I'm a musician, I used to build high end instrument and PA cabinets... I know what I'm doing. It's all good.

Last edited: