Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Vl Dash And Back Speakers

S

spike

hey i just recently bought a cd deck and speakers for the front dash and for the back. i heard with vl's that it's a pretty hard job to install the front ones as you have to take off the dash to do it. (its still got the standard cassette player in)
my brothers have offered to set it all up for me for a carton of beer but i'm having second thoughts as it might be a bigger job than they expect.

is it best to get it done by a professional? and does anyone know anywhere cheap that installs them (even if you didnt buy from them)? i got everything from strathfield but they were pretty expensive to install and there was even a big waiting list. audiocom were cheaper but i didnt end up buying from them so i dont know if i can get them instaleld there?

thanks guys

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
i installed the deck in my VL a few years ago. Now, i dont know if i did it the hard way or not... but it took me 3/4 of a day to pull the dash out and about the same to put it back in. ive heard that VLs are a bit of a pain. Like i said, maybe i did it the hard way...
I also installed 6X9's in the parcel shelf which turned out mickey mouse! my dad and i made a new parcel shelf out of MDF and covered it in carpet. the only problem was when it was put in and i turned it up i could hear the MDF vibrating on the body. this problem was sloved by putting seat foam underneath the parce shelf to wedge it up and lock it underneath the lip of where the rear window was. i also screwed the front of it to the body and the top of the seat covered the screws. i wish i had some photos of it cos i was proud of it.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Most places should do an install for you whether you got stuff from there or not - Its still income.

I'm reasonably sure you can take the mesh inserts off with a screwdriver.

As for the headunit I've read a fair few things but basically the safest way would be to take most of your dash apart, all the things I've read have ended up in people breaking it or hacksawing. Definately worth the time to take the dash apart.

Which may seem a little daunting at first but if you pay attention to what your doing and put it back in with reverse order and have patience, You'll be right.