Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing VS oil pump?

lynnie

lynm
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Wondering if trying to install the oil pump yourself is a bad choice if you have very limited knowledge?

And if we take it back to the dealer it's an hour away. Is it ok to drive the car that far as long as you pull over when the ticking starts? {after a few mins rest the ticking goes for a little while}.

Just don't want to do the wrong thing, can't afford a tow truck either.

Thanks,
Lyn.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
if you have a car manual and the right tools and some confidence ... sockets spanners some kind of scraper and silicone then you can proberbly do it at home. Otherwise leave it upto someone who knows what they are doing.

Are you sure the problem you are having is actually the pump, its not a common thing for them to fail although it does happen on rare occasions, make sure you try an oil flush, change and new filter I would be surprised if this doesnt fix your problem and will only cost $40

where actually is the ticking, does it get faster when you rev then engine or does it tick only when the light comes on ect ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Agree with rcnugget - it depends on what is wrong with the car. To instal the oil pump parts you've bought you would need to remove the timing cover and harmonic balancer which requires quite a bit of work and knowledge plus it may not fix your problem.

lynnie

lynm
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks for the replies.

/it only tics when the oil light comes on, then he pulls over for a couple of mins and it doesn't tic for another 8 mins. We were going to do the oil change/flush this weekend... the dealer said the oil pump is a common prob, but from what I have read here it doesn't seem to be the case.

My hubby knows abit about cars, but not this part of it.

I don't want my son to get the bum steer and end up with the prob still when warranty is out.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
yeah sounds like the system is loosing pressure to the lifters, this can be caused by a blockage in the high pressure line that feeds the oil around the engine. This would make the lifters collapse the you would get a fast ticking that is related to engine speed.

make sure you do an oil flush and top the oil up while you do the flush and dont drive the car to hard while its flushing, talk to the guys at repco/SCA about how to do it with the product you pick, usually...

run the car for 10 mins after you tip the flush in ...
Drain the oil
take the filter off
fit the new oil filter, you only need to just seat the rubber gasket on the block of the engine then usually 1/4 turn to lock it in dont overtighted it
put in a GOOD QUALITY 20/50 oil not the $2 a litre crap.
fill it to capacity DO NOT OVERFILL.
Run the car for 10-15 mins check the oil level and the sump plug/filter make sure its not leaking .. top up if required

post back and tell us if it solved you problem

lynnie

lynm
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
So do you actually drive the car or just run it while flushing?

Sounds like the oil pump not the issue then. If it's the blockage, then the flush should fix that?

Thanks so much for your advice.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
yeah should fix it, most flush's I have used are strictly no driving just run the car at 1500rpm or so but different flush products require you to do something different, just read the destructions and you should be fine

lynnie

lynm
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks...
I'll post back tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Here's hoping!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only but whilst the ticking may be caused by a lifter sticking, the oil light coming on is caused by low oil pressure and this is a danger sign as without oil pressure the engine will eventually seize through lack of lubrication. If it was me I'd take the car back and get it fixed properly under warranty after you change the oil. From the sounds of it the problem is not going to go away without major work.

lynnie

lynm
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks Hako... we'll keep that in mind.

But if the oil is crappy could that be the cause, and so in fixing that the engine/lubrication thing be fixed?