Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installtion guide for CAI for vn - vr

Wahgoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VR Executive Wagon
ive got a s/c v6 cai setup and a k&n in my vr wagon. its not that flash. im thinkin of taking the bottom half of the box and cutting it with a hole saw and plumbing some pipe into the front bumper. the vr/vs front bumper has two little holes either side of the mouth of the bumper, and if you take the bumper off, you can see that they invert and there is a length of plastic that you can attach the piping/hose to with a cable tie or something similiar. does anyone think this is overkill ? i realy dont think the s/c cai is doin much atm tho..

cheers.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
If you can get around the radiator and anything else that's in the way, by all means give it a shot. After a couple of weeks have a look at your air filter and let us know how it goes !!

Sammy B

89 calais

Munch,Munch V8'sfor lunch
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
My vn has had cai at one point because the lower airbox has been cut out and the rivet holes are in the top of the radiator shroud,does anyone know of what model cai would have fitted sucessfully?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This problem happens because the bonnet is a little higher on a VR/VS. On the VN/VP models the very corners of the CAI (factory Super charged V6 VS) foul on the bonnet frame. the VR/S has a different designed bonnet.

It is stupidly easy to fix.
To fix it, heat the corners up on the CAI. it will go soft and you can squeeze the very outer centimetre or so closed almost. this won't render the thing useless as it only changes it fractionally and will still allow lots and lots of air in.

if you cut away the front of the lower part of the airbox, It will be better than stock... till summer. i have done both mods and a few of my own and the best is the factory option by a long shot. each has it's pros and cons and once averaged out if you like the factory option is better year round. The oil line from the radiator will go over the top of the duct.

Also think before you chop the area under the air box. This "area in the eyes of the law" forms part of the structural integrity of the front end. Unless there is a factory hole there you can give your insurance company a good reason not to pay up if it all goes pear shaped :(
Also you will need to be very mindfull of haveing an intake pipe running behind the bumper from under the air box because although it will work well, can have the potentail to ruin an engine if you encounter a lot of water by way of heavy rain or large puddles or unexpected flooded sections of road. With intake up over the radiator, the risk of this happening is greatly diminished. :)

89 calais

Munch,Munch V8'sfor lunch
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
CAI finally

yeah cheers Fu,have done just that and fits like a dream and no bonnet probs.But yeah had to attack with heat gun but only on pass side,noticed the torque difference immediately and no droning or sucking noises either.Purchased from holded VS mod $56:50 can't beat that LOL:thumbsup:

*VN88*

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ex V6S1 man/VX Acc l67/VT Ex wag
I have a vs cold air intake in mine and i havent had to melt the box or grind my bonnet away it might rub a tiny bit on the bonnet, but i just took the weather strip out and it closes no probs no melting!!

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I installed a VS S/c CAI to my VN, no melting or anything also took the rubber off bonnet more flow, but i got the jig-saw out and cut it back 1-2cm to the line to allow more flow it doesnt rub or anything very easy to do and if done right doesnt look crap.

dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
just put mine on. Made my exhaust note deeper and sounds better(deeper) at idle. Took it for a run, very minute if any performance gain. I put a new ryco air filter on too, was due for one. So thats with stock filter and 2.5" exhaust no resi and stock motor.

Seemed to drive slightly smoother through the gears.
So for $40 im pretty happy with my deeper note :p

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Trying to find a cheap bottom half of the airbox, as holden want alot of money for it and im not keen to stuff mine up if i chop it. Suggestions on where?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
any wrecker should have em