Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument Lighting.

Scream

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 08
Hey guys, my son has just bought a VR Stato and the lighting on the speedo/tacho on the dash isn't working. Actually none of the lighting works on the dash. I've checked out the fuse and all "seems" ok in that respect.
He asked a mate for some advice and he said to replace all the lights behind the instrument panel. I was thinking it's strange to lose all ya lights at once, i've never seen this before in my 30 years of owning cars, so i'm thinking something other than that.
I had a play with the slider for the dimming off the lights (the one on the headlight switch) and it's kinds wierd, it doesn't really slide, it just kinda flicks from top to bottom which doesn't seem right.
Has anyone else had this issue ???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Danny.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Danny,
With the dimmer switch, hold the slider for a couple of seconds up until you reach the required amount of lighting.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Get a 9V battery and test the lights?

VXSS32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
all the lights may have gone out at once, it does seem strange, but it is possible. As for the dimmer switch, im pretty sure they only have 2 settings, dull or bright, which is why it only flicks to 2 spots.

Scream

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 08
Cheers for the replies guys.

Yes Dave everything else lights up, just not the instr panel.

Sera i'll give that a go.

Hard, i never thought to try that.

Quick update, spoke to the guy he bought the car off and apparently if ya hit a bump at the right speed and angle the Instr Panel will light up. So it looks like i'll be driving the thing round until i can find the right pothole and correct speed. :idea3: LOL.

Sounds like a s**ty switch to be honest, will keep ya informed.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Haha yeah id be taking a look at those switches. Could be a faulty wire/switch along there somewhere. It'd be a pretty easy fix.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I had a play with the slider for the dimming off the lights (the one on the headlight switch) and it's kinds wierd, it doesn't really slide, it just kinda flicks from top to bottom which doesn't seem right.

That's what it's like for most VR/VS's as far as I know, mine's like that. I think you can upgrade to the VT switch to correct it.

As for the cluster, try hitting the top of the dash. I doubt they all would have gone out at once, they probably just faded out over time. Have a look around the how-to section for an LED upgrade how-to. Even if you stick with the T5/T10 globes, it shows you how to get to all the bulbs.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah I have a VR and they don't come with dimming lights it just flicks from top to bottom as you described.

Did you test the bulbs with the 9V battery?

Scream

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 08
I haven't as well Hardstyle, but i'm thinking of pulling the dash out today and having a look.

Another update - Replaced the switch and it does the same thing, so while i got the dash out i'll check it right over. :spot on: