Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance and Mods

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Hi all,

Plan on leaving the Ford camp for Holden later this year. Goodbye G6ET, hello LS3.

I am still undecided on what I'm going to get, SSV or Redline, stock or W375 pack.

While I see the warranty issue for the mods has been debated here several times (I'm in the camp they are like political promises), I also wonder about insurance.

I have always purchased mine online, as my cars are stock.

What impact on insurance does something like the W375 pack have?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have a chat to a few companies to see what they say, as its an inclusion at sale it may not add that much to a premium like having mods done to a SS later (then they wont insure) also depends on age and driving history

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Suncorp doesn't care as long as you don't attach a blower, roll cage or change the paint colour. All of those things attract a premium.

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Suncorp doesn't care as long as you don't attach a blower, roll cage or change the paint colour. All of those things attract a premium.

Same with AAMI - any mods except mechanically forced induction, roll cage or paint ... great price too ..

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Wow that's changed ... 25 years ago, swapping factory wheels for same-size other wheels, and having an aftermarket exhaust, was as far as they'd let you go.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Ask Shannons. I had a mod vintage hotrod with them. They don't mind my mild mods now as long as they're told.

Romyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to be Blown VF Redline
I nearly bailed on my blown redline when i rang around for insurance quotes, the blower was fitted prior to pick up but the insurance quotes were insane.... Well over 2k a year and most wouldn't touch it because it was more than 20% more powerful than stock after a Google search I rang just car insurance and got it down to just over 1k and they didn't even want to know the power output

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I nearly bailed on my blown redline when i rang around for insurance quotes, the blower was fitted prior to pick up but the insurance quotes were insane.... Well over 2k a year and most wouldn't touch it because it was more than 20% more powerful than stock after a Google search I rang just car insurance and got it down to just over 1k and they didn't even want to know the power output

Have heard a number of people say that Just Car Insurance will use every trick in the book to avoid paying claims.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Depending on circumstances, Shannons may be cheaper if the car is modified.
I bought a 2yo Liberty RS when I was about 28 (still in the Insurance Costs Heaps age-range), and the Shannons quote was significantly cheaper if I had significant modifications than for the car as standard; about half the price per year.

Currently I've got a 70's Volvo that's been modified such that only Shannon's or Just Car Insurance will touch it. Then, because I've got that policy with Shannon's, it's cheaper for me to go with Shannon's for the VF Redline plus the house & contents than any other insurer. Basically there's no cheaper way to insure the whole lot, although if I had to insure one thing individually I might get a lower premium for that one thing (which would make the rest cost even more).

My14ssvute

Reaction score
Members Ride
14 ssv ute
Have a chat to Nrma I just put my new redline with them on Friday

They told me the first 2 years of market value is new for old replacement from what was on ur original perchace order inc my tow bar spoiler black roof and 20s w375 should be no different?

But again speak to them and make sure