Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

insurance help needed

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
If he has third party property insurance and he isnt at fault he should be able to claim through his insurance company and have them chase the other bloke up,

I understood that to be the case for most insurance companies.

I would be getting a solicitor on the job ASAP, some stern letters from a good solicitor might be enough to make the guy see its much easier and cheaper to pay the excess than fight it out in court and loose.

Might be your only alternative unfortunately :(
That case shouldn't be very expensive to run and if it's as cut and dried as you say then most of your costs should be recoverable.

Reaper

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
Might be your only alternative unfortunately :(
That case shouldn't be very expensive to run and if it's as cut and dried as you say then most of your costs should be recoverable.

Reaper

If he was rear ended then its pretty cut and dry, the car that does the rear ending is generally in the wrong because no matter what the car in front does the vehicle behind is expected to keep a safe distance to be able to react. If this is the case as reaper said the expenses should be well and truely recoverable, but the time isnt and it doesnt change the fact that your son needs the money now to buy another vehicle. But in the end its really the only option. Matt

LES2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EXECUTIVE SERIES II
Looks like it's time to lawyer up, here's the kicker, the other party is insured with the same insurance company, we found out he disposed of his vehicle immediately as well, that could also be why it's taking so long to sort out.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
****in insurance , i got backed into at a servo by some young girl with SGIC full comprehensive... they ruled im my favour and were ready to send my car off for repairs .... until the young lassie decides she wont pay her excess and they tell me they cant do anything!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have a crack at the Small Claims Tribunal, even if you lose that its only about $20.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
yeh thats what ive been told, i got the lasses address from the police because you need and address to send a summons too , looked it up on google maps ( because there was no house number and it was a remote little road up in the hills ) and apparantly it doesnt exist ... not sure how to proceed at this point.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well then talk to the police, if they provided the police with a false address then the police will be mighty pissed. Also since you know their insurance mob, I'm sure the police can track them through the insurance company.

Also the OP can use Small Claims too.

This is one of the reasons I have full comprehensive, I get full legal help from my insurance. On both occasions that people have hit me, I claim through my insurance and the repairs start straight away, and its up to my insurance to get their money back.

paknponys

On the wood!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Surely that cant be legal, and surely if you did fork out for a solicitor you may aswel take him to court for theft of your sons vehicle aswell mate.

sounds pretty rough hey

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
since he disposed of the car, wouldn't his insurance know what type of car he was driving by his policy?

Last edited:

LES2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX EXECUTIVE SERIES II
the thing is though that when your car is written off and you have full comp insurance they take your car to cover some costs, just wondering if maybe they went to get his car and since it's gone he has to pay excess plus the cost of the cars value