Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance pay

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
There is no 2" law

Where did the poster mention any law? Do people actually read before they type anymore? Some insurance companies still will not insure a vehicle with non standard wheels over 2" larger than standard, it is just their terms of service, not a law.

OP, smartest option would be to call your insurer...how can anyone answer here when 1. we do not know who your insurer is and 2 have no record of their PDS.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Where did the poster mention any law? Do people actually read before they type anymore? Some insurance companies still will not insure a vehicle with non standard wheels over 2" larger than standard, it is just their terms of service, not a law.

The OP wants to know if his wheels are legal for insurance purposes. If his rolling diameter is any more than +15mm from standard, then no, they are not legal. Telling him they can be +2" is false.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The OP wants to know if his wheels are legal for insurance purposes. If his rolling diameter is any more than +15mm from standard, then no, they are not legal. Telling him they can be +2" is false.

No minux is correct above, it is the individual insurance policy that dicates if they are covered by insurance, regardless if they are "legal" or not. my car has a couple of modifications that are not technically legal. However my insurance company still covers those because that is the policy i have with them.

just call your insurer and ask man, save the hassle down the track if it does become an issue

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International

when i got my car insured i told them i have 18" wheels and on there system it showed it came factory with 15" alloy wheels and said that it because it was more then 2" larger they wouldn't insure the car until i explained that other models came out with 18" wheels and they checked and then said it was ok and i would be covered

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
and it was your insurers policies dictating them telling you that, nothing to do with a law, and no reason to believe that all insurers are going to have that same policy. some allow mods, some dont, some accept some mods, and not others. just like some dont allow young people or high risk people, yet others will take them. policy not law.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
As long as you've informed them of any modification, and you have proof of the fact that you have informed them of this (print out of quote etc.) you're fine. If you haven't, there may decline your claim on this basis.

Nothing to do with law, wheel sizes and the like. That's a Roadworthy issue not an Insurance issue.

vs v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
thanks for the replys guys
yeah im goign to ring them tomarrow, and just double check they will pay off
cause il be in big sh** if they dont, and something does happen to my car

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
when i got my car insured i told them i have 18" wheels and on there system it showed it came factory with 15" alloy wheels and said that it because it was more then 2" larger they wouldn't insure the car until i explained that other models came out with 18" wheels and they checked and then said it was ok and i would be covered

Did you get that in writing and signed in blood ?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
As long as you've informed them of any modification, and you have proof of the fact that you have informed them of this (print out of quote etc.) you're fine. If you haven't, there may decline your claim on this basis.

Nothing to do with law, wheel sizes and the like. That's a Roadworthy issue not an Insurance issue.

lol @ this.

You will find that ALL insurance companies have a clause saying the insurance if void if the vehicle is no roadworthy in their T+C's.

On top of that, they have their own restrictions and rules. I know that RWC only car that the car is roadworthy, they don't even include modification options on their quotes. Other companies say you can only have so many mds and other insurers will not insure anything modified.

Best bet is for the OP to ring his insurance company and ask what THEIR particular T+C's are.

Having said this, people should are questions like this BEFORE being involved in an accident but it seems the OP has already been in an accident and is only now asking questions.

Read the T+C's people, don't just agree or sign based on assumptions;. Otherwise you could end up Apples latest gadget as Kyle did. :p