Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

insurance query

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All this is a bullshit, my wife came to Australia and had to get her license, got P plates at age 22?? and pretty much when she turned 25 was rating one. it didn't matter at all about history of anything, you just ring up...... have you crashed no, got a fine no what age are you? 25? ok your rating one. I don't think personal history really comes into it at all. Your postcode defines how much you will pay more than anything else

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
In the case of a claim, the insurance company might investigate how much you actually drive the car, and if they find out that you are actually the full driver of the car (rather than the 10% listed on your policy) then a subsequent claim could be refused.
In my opinion I would go under your own name and build your own rating. That's what I'm doing.

Sensible advice. Insurance companies don't like paying up, what business does? The more they can save on claims the more profit they make. Therefore they get the slightest hint of something odd and they are onto it.

Years ago my then Father-In-Law decided to save a few bucks on insurance by declaring the car he used for work was purely private use, as the premium is higher for a work car. He had to make a claim against his policy and the Assessor noticed work related items scattered throughout the car. Of course my Father-In-Law swore black and blue he didn't use it for work when questioned. Anyway the Assessor turned up at his place of employment and casually asked the Receptionist if Fred Smith (not his real name) was around and to clarify said 'he is the guy who drives a white Mitsubishi Star Wagon? Of course the Receptionist said yes....... No, no claim for you.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sensible advice. Insurance companies don't like paying up, what business does? The more they can save on claims the more profit they make. Therefore they get the slightest hint of something odd and they are onto it.

Years ago my then Father-In-Law decided to save a few bucks on insurance by declaring the car he used for work was purely private use, as the premium is higher for a work car. He had to make a claim against his policy and the Assessor noticed work related items scattered throughout the car. Of course my Father-In-Law swore black and blue he didn't use it for work when questioned. Anyway the Assessor turned up at his place of employment and casually asked the Receptionist if Fred Smith (not his real name) was around and to clarify said 'he is the guy who drives a white Mitsubishi Star Wagon? Of course the Receptionist said yes....... No, no claim for you.

Ouch, that would of sucked to be him.

To the OP just get insurance under your own name. I have a modded VX V6 with comprehensive insurance with Just Cars, all mods declared. At 22 I have a rating 1, and only pay $970 a year, its not as expensive as you think. When I was 20 and got the policy, I was only paying $1150ish for the modded car.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Ouch, that would of sucked to be him.

To the OP just get insurance under your own name. I have a modded VX V6 with comprehensive insurance with Just Cars, all mods declared. At 22 I have a rating 1, and only pay $970 a year, its not as expensive as you think. When I was 20 and got the policy, I was only paying $1150ish for the modded car.

out of interest, how much is your excess?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
$400 standard excess, and $350 for 'Male driver aged 22-24". There used to be a modified car excess ($400) but it has disappeared, maybe because I'm now rating one or maybe Just Cars dropped it.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
interesting discussion, please continue. I can't afford full comprehensive right now, but planning to get it eventually.
my current insurance is with a company called Waterhouse Walsh Kirtley and Associates, theyve got me with CGU.

went with them because of recommendations from friends and family.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Everything aside, if you cannot afford comprehensive for your car (I am directing this at every driver not just the OP) you should get third party cover. This small price to pay can stop years of misery and financial ruin if you were to be involved in an accident and have to share the blame.