Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance question

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Just a dumb question to be thinking about on Christmas Day BUT

If dad owns a car thats rego'd in his name, insurance 3rd party in his name, and has the CTP Greenslip (a NSW thing for out of staters) in his name, but I have an accident in it, what the heck happens there?

I assume I would be up for an excess coz I'm not listed as a driver?? Whats the difference too if I cause the accident, or if someone else causes the accident??

Just curious coz he's looking at buying an older car for some weekend cruising (mid life crisis?) and I wouldnt mind getting behind the wheel either, but the CTP price alone is worth more then what he'd be paying for the car, let alone the insurance and rego price ... and if it's ever in an accident it'd be cheaper to just scrap it for scrap metal.

Im just confused what happens if he pays for all this insurance rubbish, then I have an accident :whistling

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Depends if there is any age restrictions on your dad's insurance - for example our VZ is only 25 yo and over - so the kids are not covered if they drive it.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
u will be covered with third party body insurance

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Just a dumb question to be thinking about on Christmas Day BUT

If dad owns a car thats rego'd in his name, insurance 3rd party in his name, and has the CTP Greenslip (a NSW thing for out of staters) in his name, but I have an accident in it, what the heck happens there?

I assume I would be up for an excess coz I'm not listed as a driver?? Whats the difference too if I cause the accident, or if someone else causes the accident??

Just curious coz he's looking at buying an older car for some weekend cruising (mid life crisis?) and I wouldnt mind getting behind the wheel either, but the CTP price alone is worth more then what he'd be paying for the car, let alone the insurance and rego price ... and if it's ever in an accident it'd be cheaper to just scrap it for scrap metal.

Im just confused what happens if he pays for all this insurance rubbish, then I have an accident :whistling

Simple answer CTP you will be covered and with Third party property you will prob need to be listed as a driver, if your not the excess will go up alot though.
Makes sense when you think about it cause If you buy a car and you transfer it to your name you dont have to pay any additional amount for the CTP until you go to renew so you will be covered under someone else's insurance for CTP.

Travy

A bogan with style
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E & FG XR50 Turbo
simple answer is to get full comprehensive insurance and list you as a nominated driver..

dont understand why people dont have full comp insurance...

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
dont understand why people dont have full comp insurance...

so you would pay 2000 a year to insure a $500 VN? (thats under 25 for instance)

its much more financially viable to just have $200 third party and then have a little money saved away for you to buy a car if you stack it,

when i had my vs last year, it only had third party, but the vz obviously has comprehensive

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thats pretty much the gist of it.

The VZ costs me $1600 per year to register and comprehensively insure in my name, full comprehensive and so on.

But the other car we're looking at we're only paying $500 for. Rego alone is worth $400, CTP in dads name is worth about $400 and insurance is anywhere from $300 to $800.

I cant see the sense in paying $1600 for the VZ then another $1000 odd on a car thats only worth half that each year, especially if we only drive it every other Saturday. Plus I'm also part paying for the insurance on the Adventra as I use it occasionally and Im listed on the comprehensive insurance so its worth a motza, so I'm going through over $2000 per year just to drive the damn things.

As I said if it were in an accident it'd be an instant write off, heck, if someone scratched the paintwork and it needed a touch up with a $20 touch up pen, it'd be an instant write off.

Makes sense when you think about it cause If you buy a car and you transfer it to your name you dont have to pay any additional amount for the CTP until you go to renew so you will be covered under someone else's insurance for CTP.
thing is its unregistered and un-insured thus why its coming home on a trailer, so I will be paying for everything to start from day 1, but yeh I can see what your getting at, when you buy a 2nd hand car is covered.

I'm curious coz on all the quote thingos they ask the age of the youngest driver, then it goes up when I put my birthday in, just like insurance.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
thats pretty much the gist of it.

The VZ costs me $1600 per year to register and comprehensively insure in my name, full comprehensive and so on.

But the other car we're looking at we're only paying $500 for. Rego alone is worth $400, CTP in dads name is worth about $400 and insurance is anywhere from $300 to $800.

I cant see the sense in paying $1600 for the VZ then another $1000 odd on a car thats only worth half that each year, especially if we only drive it every other Saturday. Plus I'm also part paying for the insurance on the Adventra as I use it occasionally and Im listed on the comprehensive insurance so its worth a motza, so I'm going through over $2000 per year just to drive the damn things.

As I said if it were in an accident it'd be an instant write off, heck, if someone scratched the paintwork and it needed a touch up with a $20 touch up pen, it'd be an instant write off.

thing is its unregistered and un-insured thus why its coming home on a trailer, so I will be paying for everything to start from day 1, but yeh I can see what your getting at, when you buy a 2nd hand car is covered.

I'm curious coz on all the quote thingos they ask the age of the youngest driver, then it goes up when I put my birthday in, just like insurance.

im positive if you get third party you can still list drivers, cause thats how we did it with my vs, so it covers you or or father etc if you hit someone

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
Get yourself listed as a limited driver, to let's say 5 or 10 times a year. My mate has his car insured and registered in his mum's name and the insurance is so much cheaper because he's limited to the amount of times he can drive it per year. They don't know he drives it everyday. What they don't know doesn't hurt them.
Or call Shannons and get it insured under limited usage with you as a listed driver. They actually take into account how often the car gets driven. Tell 'em it'll only be driven once a week, if it's lucky. Compared to a normal premium it's heaps cheaper.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Get yourself listed as a limited driver, to let's say 5 or 10 times a year. My mate has his car insured and registered in his mum's name and the insurance is so much cheaper because he's limited to the amount of times he can drive it per year. They don't know he drives it everyday. What they don't know doesn't hurt them.
Or call Shannons and get it insured under limited usage with you as a listed driver. They actually take into account how often the car gets driven. Tell 'em it'll only be driven once a week, if it's lucky. Compared to a normal premium it's heaps cheaper.

lol @ what they don't know won't hurt them. You will be surprised how far they will go to investigate a claim to get out of paying up. For example, knew a guy with your attitude who insured the car as private not business as it was cheaper but he used it for work. Roll on time, he has an accident. During their investigation they rang his place of employment and asked along the lines 'does Fred Flintstone work there... yeah? He drives a blah blah right?' GOT HIM.