Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Insurance who's best with mods?????

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
did you ask them why they insured you last year and why the sudden turnaround in not insuring you this year?

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm with AAMI. They seem okay. They are fine with the mods as long as they are legal and listed. Not that I have many. $1200 a year I think, 27 year old, good driving record (in the time frame they wanted to know about), Dodgy suburb.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
i have my Caprice with RACV, they are ok with mods and do not attach a price to my premium, provided the mods are legal and roadworthy they will replace same for same.

Just cars is a rip off, they wanted $2600 for the Caprice and $1500 for my old VS Staty (a $500 jump from the year before)

M

magnumv8

Big vote for Shannons, been with them for years, they cover our cars and home. Price is the best I can find, they offer many things as standard that others charge extra for. I'v had 2 claims through them over the years, first was a little arse ender-my car was fixed at my repairer no trouble or fuss, second was a write off-I pranged on thursday and the money was in my account the following wednesday.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
i have my Caprice with RACV, they are ok with mods and do not attach a price to my premium, provided the mods are legal and roadworthy they will replace same for same.

Just cars is a rip off, they wanted $2600 for the Caprice and $1500 for my old VS Staty (a $500 jump from the year before)

Just Cars is underwritten by AAMI which is part of the Suncorp group which took a massive beating in the QLD storms etc recently, so premiums have gone up across the board.

My old VS was with AAMI, started charging me through the roof for just Third Party Fire and Theft, so upon ringing up to try and get it reduced, when they wouldn't budge I merely just moved my business elsewhere...

It's a competitive market, don't expect to stay with the same insurer forever.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Big vote for Shannons, been with them for years, they cover our cars and home. Price is the best I can find, they offer many things as standard that others charge extra for. I'v had 2 claims through them over the years, first was a little arse ender-my car was fixed at my repairer no trouble or fuss, second was a write off-I pranged on thursday and the money was in my account the following wednesday.

as said above,Im with Shannons,cheapest i could find,all mods on my ss listed no worries.(as long as they're legal)house, contents.give them a call:)

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just Cars is underwritten by AAMI which is part of the Suncorp group which took a massive beating in the QLD storms etc recently, so premiums have gone up across the board.

My old VS was with AAMI, started charging me through the roof for just Third Party Fire and Theft, so upon ringing up to try and get it reduced, when they wouldn't budge I merely just moved my business elsewhere...

It's a competitive market, don't expect to stay with the same insurer forever.

I moved that car to GIO and 1 month later it was written off, glad that i didn't smoke another $500 on the premium.
i call around every year at renewal time.

Also Shannons wouldn't insure my Caprice as A: the car isn't old enough and B: i'm not in a car club..... they could have had a house and 3 cars but they weren't interested..

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
I've always been with NRMA and never had any issues with mods.

I don't mean to pick on you Troy, but, maybe we should mention whether we have had a claim with mods, or the insurance company just acknowledged them.
To add content to my post, GIO and NRMA didn't even know what a supercharger was, and wouldn't insure my car for the value. NRMA wanted me to get an independent valuer to price my ute.
Shannons all the way, ive been insured with shannons for some time now, houses and cars. My Ute is insured for $75k I pay $1400ish for this

M

magnumv8

I moved that car to GIO and 1 month later it was written off, glad that i didn't smoke another $500 on the premium.
i call around every year at renewal time.

Also Shannons wouldn't insure my Caprice as A: the car isn't old enough and B: i'm not in a car club..... they could have had a house and 3 cars but they weren't interested..

No good yergin. Do some mods and you will be in, they cover my wb, vy wagon and wifes honda full cover for just over 2k-the wb is laid up atm waiting for historic rego next feb-it is covered for a healthy sum.

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
No good yergin. Do some mods and you will be in, they cover my wb, vy wagon and wifes honda full cover for just over 2k-the wb is laid up atm waiting for historic rego next feb-it is covered for a healthy sum.

I tried on my old car which was modified and they said no again, can't remember reasons other than car club stuff.
May have to find a club that has very lax requirements as i work 7 days for 8 months of the year so not much time for cruises etc.

something to look into now i'm rolling with 2 cars.