Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake Manifold Gasket Problem

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Recently had the intake manifold gaskets replaced on my VZ ute but now there is a fair bit of faint white smoke coming out of the exhaust a few minutes after the car is turned on. I'm no expert but I'm guessing they haven't been fitted properly and perhaps there is a leak? Could it be that the surface the gasket sits on is damaged? Would using some gasket sealant possibly solve the problem? If anyone can help that would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll have to take the car to a mechanic.

Gaskets used
$%28KGrHqUOKn!E5-%29%29yB%29JBOlQUFyF!!~~60_35.JPG

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Recently had the intake manifold gaskets replaced on my VZ ute but now there is a fair bit of faint white smoke coming out of the exhaust a few minutes after the car is turned on. I'm no expert but I'm guessing they haven't been fitted properly and perhaps there is a leak? Could it be that the surface the gasket sits on is damaged? Would using some gasket sealant possibly solve the problem? If anyone can help that would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll have to take the car to a mechanic.

Gaskets used
$%28KGrHqUOKn!E5-%29%29yB%29JBOlQUFyF!!~~60_35.JPG

I suggest that you take the vehicle back to whoever installed the gaskets and request that they insepct and analyze the problem(s) as you've reported. Good luck.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I had the exact same problem but wasnt sure if its the cold weather or actual smoke? Recently changed the intake gaskets aswell.

Tikkat3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Wagon
Is it white smoke or steam? White smoke is from burnt auto trans oil.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
If it goes away when the car been running a while it would be steam from condensation in the exhaust.
Normal in cold or wet weather.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
car could have been on for a couple hours and the smoke comes and goes every couple mins. Has no smell to it either.

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Well before the car used to have a bit of smoke come out after turning it on but it would stop after 10 seconds or so which seemed normal. Now the smoke appears after a minute then doesn't seem to stop. It's not a strong white colour but rather light and exhausts slowly. Will probably take it to a garage for inspection. Also wanting to know what the part is called that the upper manifold sits on. Has three openings on each side. I'm assuming it's just called the lower intake manifold but is there a specific term for the pipes that the gasket is placed upon?

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Lower manifold is fine. Maybe runners? Need to clarify that.

Kokentoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Holden VZ Storm Ute
Cheers for all the replies. So I took my car to a few mechanics today and I was told that the smoke is probably just steam and that it shouldn't be a problem. They reckon the gaskets that were replaced shouldn't be the cause of any smoke coming from the exhaust. Of course they were only basing their opinion by looking at the car and not inspecting it internally but I still don't understand why there would be smoke or as they said "steam" coming out and not before? I should probably just let it go but I'm just not satisfied. I could always get them to have a look inside just to be safe.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
If the car is at running temp, it shouldn't steam. You could just put some glass in the smoke and see if it fogs.