Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intake over exhaust. Which one?

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
I've recently purchased a 09 ve ssv wagon. I've read a lot of post, but wish I had have done before I got an auto with AFM and just got a real car with a real gear box. ( this is the first and last auto I will ever buy!)
I've read a billion posts about how **** the sound from the AFM is when you get an exhaust and the only way to combat this is buy turning it off. King of defeats the purpose I think.
Anyway my question is if a get a ORSSOM in take will it sound like the one the have on YouTube that they say has no other mods just the cai? Or have they done other stuff to make it sound like that?
The only way I can get mine to sound good it by putting the boot into it all the time.
Thanks DF.

Also will it need a tune if I keep the maff on? Bloke I spoke to at orssom said it may not need one because it is an early 09 wagon.

Last edited by a moderator:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
as for the exhaust get hold of pirate on here he has the both luxuries of afm and noise, most otr's need engine tuned afterwards

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Pretty sure tuning a VE and disabling the afm can still benefit of great fuel savings, with that added benefit of more power.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
I just went though the same decision when i got my VE SSV a few months ago. I ended up getting the AFM turned off when i got it tuned. If i was to do it again i would try a bimodal exhaust from a HSV to shut the thing up on the highway and leave the AFM on. My fuel consumption is worse after the tune with AFM turned off.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
if I get an ORSSOM intake will it sound like the one the have on YouTube that they say has no other mods just the cai? Or have they done other stuff to make it sound like that?

Show us the link, coz the main clip clearly says they've done stuff to it:
Screenshot%202014-09-24%2013.34.00.png

Also will it need a tune if I keep the maff on? Bloke I spoke to at orssom said it may not need one because it is an early 09 wagon.

Yes you will need a tune.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
I dont understand your hate on the 6L80 transmission, its a great thing , mine can swop cogs faster than a manual . Its got the deep sump and filter mod and a tune done but it was good before .
maybe yours needs some attention?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
they can also tune the gearbox or should I say give it better shift points to suit etc

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Thanks for the help fellas. It's not that I don't like the auto I just love changing gears myself. It seems to change fine and changes pretty quick.
This is the link for the clip of the CAI I was looking at.
[video=youtube_share;4B5dhdzv7Uw]http://youtu.be/4B5dhdzv7Uw[/video]
Not sure if that worked. It's the first video of them installing the unit. Let me know what you think.
Cheers DF