Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interesting Conversation With Young Female Police Officer

S

sc0pe

you need to understand how tyres are made before you can even fathom the question...

once your tyres are bald they are running into a different compound of rubber. not sticky at all.the bald part of the tyre is of a different compound to the rubber blocks on top of them.

hence the difference between street tyres and track tyres, it has alot more to it then simply tread design...

ps...have a search on the net and look for tyre construction or similar, will explain it a little more...

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
good point scope.

however, on the humble tyres that us poor blokes drive on, there is not a lot of difference in rubber compound tread to case. (I'm talkin RE92s, that sort of tyre)

You can actually get more miles out of a retread (if it stays on) than a cleanskin as a retreading rubber compound can be made a lot more 'durable' than the tread compound on a cleanskin... when they manufacture tyres, they can't have too big a variation in rubber compound between tread compound and case compound... it gets very technical....

I have retreaded a couple of RE92s with a slick tread applied. (50mm thick) took a while to burn those ones out...

the company I work for uses a ring of rubber that get stretched over the tyre, as opposed to every other mob that has a join half way around, that tends to let go every so often...

itchy pits

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz
a trucky told me they blow more tyres in the wet cause the friction from the water passing through the tread creates heat

R

rattattack1313

Personally, I think the Truck Companies should somehow brand their name all over their tyres....then the drivers might pick all the bits up, so they don't get busted for littering............. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hate having to swerve around bits of black **** poking up outa the road........

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
itchy pits, thats an interesting one. I would think that the cooling effect of the water would more than compensate for friction that the water would cause... I'll look that one up.
From what I know of truckies, he might remember the wet blow outs more because of the inconveinience!!!

The name of the Truck company is written inside all the tyres we retread, bandag & others use a code in place of company name, a lot of truck companies brand their cases to stop theft etc.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Bald tyres in the dry as long as there are not wire sticking through or they are worn unevenly dont handle any different to a near new tyre of the same size type and compound.
How can they?... they are basically using the cars weight to put force on a section of rubber at the bottom of the tyre to grip the bitumen ...the grooves do nothing but dissipate the air in front of them.
In the wet its a different story but thats not being desputed here.
And as far as her not agreeing with you even if you were right...... do you think a cop let alone a female one would agree with a motorist especially after they have just booked you...... not f#cking likely!
As far as the constable was concerned .....was she good looking ...sometimes that softens the blow

Last edited:

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
yous all jump to conclusions... no I didn't get a defect for bald tyres.
I was in the *hit for something else (minor offence). we were just chatting afterwards...
I not stupid enough to say ' I only drive my bald tyres on dry days ' we were just talking about the technical aspect of tread depth in relation to grip levels on dry road...

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
markovr,
have you seen the add for some new Bridgestone tyres with a silica compound where grip levels increase as they get bald?
they can make a tyre with a slightly different compound tread to case, but there normally a fair bit more expensive...

But as you say, for the most part rubber compound stays the same on a standard tyre...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Alot of guys use the old G Grid mk1 for track days once it's bald. Mine are half way gone so I'll keep them for later when I have my car on the drag strip, very soft compound for a street tire