Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent Alternator Fault - 08 SV6

bulkbogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Ute SV6
Hi guys,

I've got an issue with an intermittent alternator fault. Every few starts I get a the 'Alternator' fault on the central display, usually after a few minutes of driving. I'm keen to resolve this myself, as I don't know any reliable sparkys in my new city (Sydney). Concerned that I'll get run around and just have parts thrown at the problem instead of a proper diagnostic.

Workaround
Disconnecting the ground from the battery, and then reconnecting after 30s-1m resolves the issue for the short term. Can/will re-occur on subsequent starting of the car.

Troubleshooting

Verified

• Using multimeter, B+ terminal on alternator is generating 13-14v when fault occurs
  • Using multimeter, battery stops charging when the fault occurs
  • Battery terminal connections are clean and solid
  • The harness from the main engine harness (i.e ECU) to the voltage regulator (located on back of alternator) is connected securely
Parts replaced
  • Replaced battery with a known good Optima Yellowtop
  • Replaced OEM alternator with an aftermarket alternator, including voltage regulator
  • Reinstalled OEM alternator

Thoughts on potential resolution
  1. Could it be a faulty voltage regulator in each of the alternators? The aftermarket alternator was a cheapy, the OEM one has ~300kms on it
  2. Potentially a short in the main harness which connects the ECU to the voltage regulator?
  3. Potentially a firmware issue, or hardware issue within the ECU?
  4. Just to throw it out there, the car does have an aftermarket stereo system including two amplifiers. The wiring is decent, and I haven't had any issues with the amps cutting out so I doubt they'd be causing it.