Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Intermittent starting issue

agristock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS t5 manual
I've got an 06 VE V6 ran fine from when I bought it 270000 ks on it now she's just hit her 330000 service alert was serviced at about 280000 just new owner and know VEs aren't good if not serviced regularly (safe then sorry) filled it up with 98 few weeks ago husband drove it fine in the morning for a short drive then when I went to drive it around mid day would turn over but not start. Left it sit drove the spare car husband came home in the afternoon started it. Started first go drove perfect. Took 2 attempts to start it to get home, But starting it again after it turned over but wouldn't start. We thought fuel pump so bought a new one of those and put it in. Issue persisted. Now it starts 1 out of 3 times most of the time seems to be easier to start if the keys taken out and then put back in or locked then unlocked but still hit and miss with that so can't actually say it's making any difference. Checked fuses, all good computers not reading up any fault codes. The connecter on top of the fuel pump is reading up 5.3v on 2 of the connections and nothing on the other 2 while the ignitions on. If the cars started and switched off then ignition turned on again sometimes the fuel pump doesn't make any noise 3 or 4 attempts check relay tried again primes 1 out of 3 times she will try start or start. She's currently starting roughly 3rd go idling for 2 seconds then dying. Has done that before once or twice with the attempts to start it over the last 2 weeks but will come good drive fine just won't start every time. Only other thing I've noticed is since scanning for codes stability control flashes up off and stays on the dash and the button does nothing to change it but other then that nothing's unusual to normal. Stability control off sometimes flashes up for a second while driving along. Not very often but it's not actually turning esp off or on and it's almost too quick to notice if it didn't beep with it. Any one had a solution to this?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
1. Load test the battery
2. Have the charge system checked
3. The rest will only have answers once a high end interface is plugged in. That’s not just a code reader but one that is bi-directional. It will display which systems are doing what. They can relink keys, VIN match modules, and much more.

You are super lucky to have the fuel pump access panel, it was only the early -mid 06 that had them.

You could remove the steering column shroud and see if the key reader module is broken. A visual check will confirm.

agristock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS t5 manual
Jump started it yesterday and it's started first go ever since hasn't missed a beat so bought a new battery. Haven't replaced it since owning it so can't hurt to know how old it is I guess