Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV Series 1 occasional issue starting

Alexandros Chisholm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
VE SSV 2007 L98 occasionaly for the last 3-4 months when I go to start it will make a tick sound like it would when the battery is dead then after trying to start again will start straight up no problems. when it first started doing it it would only do it once or twice before starting last 2-3 weeks it will either start fine first time, do it once then start or a handful of times its taken at least 4 tries to get it started. I charged the battery for 2 days start of week but its doing it again now no engine lights and voltage gauge is reading fine. any help or ideas as to what the problem is would be appreciated, cheers.
Ive got a flip key and a bit loose with experiences on my vr statesmen it wasn't making contact with the key barrel so was thinking could possibly be a key recognition issue

Edit 2 September started doing it again however I was standing outside the car when it happened. Sounds like a solenoid so obviously has to be starter related I would assume, just need to check whether its the starter itself or an electrical fault unless anyone else has any other ideas.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
VE SSV 2007 L98 occasionaly for the last 3-4 months when I go to start it will make a tick sound like it would when the battery is dead then after trying to start again will start straight up no problems. when it first started doing it it would only do it once or twice before starting last 2-3 weeks it will either start fine first time, do it once then start or a handful of times its taken at least 4 tries to get it started. I charged the battery for 2 days start of week but its doing it again now no engine lights and voltage gauge is reading fine. any help or ideas as to what the problem is would be appreciated, cheers.
Ive got a flip key and a bit loose with experiences on my vr statesmen it wasn't making contact with the key barrel so was thinking could possibly be a key recognition issue
How old is the battery?

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Are you using a genuine or aftermarket key?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
I doubt it's the key as when it's the key you hear nothing as no modules get power when the key is not working it just comes up in the cluster as a security error and to see the dealer. Sounds like the battery or the starter is failing.
I would load test the battery and if good keep a rubber mallet handy to whack the starter with if it plays up again.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A faulty battery may not be able to provide enough current to energise the starter solenoid, throw the starter gear out and spin the starter armature all at the same time, so the starter solenoid bounces and you get that characteristic clicking.

And iff thats that's the sound you're getting when you first turn the key, and then you wait a few seconds before turning the key again to find the car starts, it's almost certainly your battery that's faulty. Why, because it's not uncommon for the initial crank to give the battery a little internal heat where it then can find the juice to kick over the engine on the next crank.

So get the battery load tested and replace it with a quality brand suited to the VE. And there are plenty of threads on JC asking what is the best battery ;)

PS: If you only have one key, do yourself a favour and get another genuine key before you loose the key you have and make life really hard for yourself. Somewhat like data backups, not needed until needed and then its too late to make one...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m going to suggest a dickie starter solenoid. Gets a bit stuck occasionally.

Would do that every now and then and progressively over months get worse.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Buy a couple of keys of Ebay and get them cut and if you need them programmed I am out in Salisbury and can remove all missing keys from memory just in case someone has a spare you don't know about.