Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS diff removal

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
Hi
I own a vs statesman and have had plenty of diff whine ever since I bought it 7 months ago. Within the last couple of weeks it has turned to chronic diff whine so I look under the car and find that the diff has a nice big oil leak just behind where the drive shaft connects. I assumed it has run dry over the time and I'm now looking at getting another diff.

After a browse through my haynes book I saw what I had to look foward to.:bang:

I want to know if there is a way of removing the diff unit without having to drop the entire rear suspension system at the same time.

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
it's not too hard, support car on stands, remove wheels, then basically undo the tail shaft to diff bolts, remove exhaust, undo inner CV shaft allen key bolt's, undo shock absorber bolts, remove springs for room, support diff with a jack, undo the 4 rear mount bolts, lower jack, then undo 4 diff mount bolts and its out, reverse procedure to re fit, also use locktite on the diff bolts

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
Awsome. Thought I was in for a fun time with special tools and all that crap but the way you put it there seems a lot more straight foward. The book said something about renewing the exhaust support brackets or something. Thought that was a little bit full on. hope I don't go snaping anything. also will I be needing any spring compressors to do this job. I assume I would be using some to take the springs out.

Thanks heaps for the advice

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
if you have lowered springs, they should come out easy when you undo the shock absorber bolts. and the exhaust bracket things your on about would probably just be the rubber supports for the tail pipe, but you will need a torque wrench to do the diff bolts up.

snappy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Statesman V6
ok well the springs aren't lowered but I checked them out and they dont look like too much trouble.

Thanks again for the advice, it's put my mind at ease thats for sure.

V85000i

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5L Calais
the only reason i know how it's done and can explain it, is because i done it last weekend. if you need any torque settings for the bolts let me know.