Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS into a VL????

busta-p

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone ever heard of someone figuring out how to mount the IRS from a VS into a VL, cause that would be awesome LOL, let me know if you've ever heard anything about this subject.

cheers

Busta-P

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Would be no harder than converting a live axle VP, VR, VS to IRS ie. weld in the appropriate (sheet metal) x-member support brackets and bolt up the rest. Shorter tailshaft.

But the track width will be wider using all VR/VS parts. Using VP/VQ IRS bits and standard offset rims will reduce the track some but will change (narrow) the track (of the new "axle") by 34mm which is more than the 25mm allowed in NSW and Vic. (not sure of "federalised rules" or if they apply yet). It will also screw with the suspension geometry. A shorter virtual swing arm length is one effect.

The following may help:

VL sedan: Front track- 1451mm, Rear track- 1433mm, wheel offset- 43mm+ve
VP/VQ IRS:FT-1485 (=1451+34, VL and VN/VP front suspension are very similar), RT-1487, wheel offset- 26mm+ve
VR/VS IRS:FT- 1491, RT- 1491, wheel offset- 43mm+ve
VP/VQ IRS with most VB-VR/VS wheels:RT- 1453

busta-p

Reaction score
thanks for the replies fellas, it's not that i want IRS, i was just wondering if it could be done. After the centre is sittin snug under the vehicle could you have the cv's shortened to suit the smaller track width?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I know a Godzilla 4wd Skyline drivetrain was fitted into a VL once before !

anythings possible if you are

a) Made of money
b) An engineer made of (a)

busta-p

Reaction score
too true mate, the bottom line is always the $$ amount

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
it can be done, a few of the brock VL commies, i think they were directors, came with IRS...

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
^^^ yep, Brock/HDT used an Opel IRS for some VL Directors, Aeros and i think Sport models. Also he tried with some VKs too. Only problem is when you do get an IRS into a VL, you need to play with the front suspension to match them.
But to find a stuffed Opel Senator/Monza here in OZ is like looking for the tassie tiger...

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Was going to mention the HDT conversion but figured that looking for parts from a 20 year old European car (Opel Rekord/Senator) would be almost impossible even with a "contact" (friend or relo) in somewhere like Germany.

If you are prepared to shorten CV's ($$$$$s) and do, or pay for someone else to do, the geometry calculations, maybe using a Calibra (4WD?) subframe would work. The semi-trailing arms are very similar to Commodore.

Another option may be to use the VP/VQ IRS and rims all round - effectively a short wheelbase VP as far as engineering goes. There may be issues with guard clearances though and rim choice is more restricted.

Rikls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss commodore
Any one done sylvia suspention conversion in vl seen one for sale with this done wondering wat might be involved in doing it