Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS VP fueltank removal - diff need to be dropped???

vp_exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ser2 BT1 355, 3800 conv, 3.45 IRS
Hi boys, replacing the intank pump in my IRS VP - part way through the job.

It has the plastic fueltank cover on it, so that stops me from removing the sender/pump assembly.
So - to remove the plastic tank cover - I have to drop fueltank out - ok, happy to do that.

BUT - 2 strap retaining bolts are out, and the other strap retaining nut is off also - so the last remaining bolt looks to be mounted under the diff!

Do I need to drop the diff (she's on bloody jackstands remember) to access this last bolt??

Cannot remove the sender/pump assembly without the plastic cover off remember.

Any help ??

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
hey mate, give this a go, take the weight of the tank (preferably with low fuel in it) or else you'll be wearing it, undo the back bolt & nut only, slide that plastic cover out rearward under the tank, disconnect the fuel lines and the electrical loom, from memory pull the 5 bolts out, then maneuver the pump and sender unit out. swap the pump put on the new gasket and reverse the process. There is no need to remove the diff or the front bolts, I've done this job 3 times on various vn/vp's

vp_exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Worked a treat - first needed to take out the huge towbar setup the old girl had....she'll fly now that she keeps losing weight!

Removed back strap bolts, slipped plastic cover out via the rear, dropped tank out to and have spent all arvo cleaning the tank externally. Have replaced breather lines, and will do the actual pump replacement part of the job on Monday.

Now that the tank is out - I can see how that passenger side strap was retained - slips in behind diff centre...turn half a turn and out the strap comes.

Thanks again mate.

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
no wuckin forries, ah the old tow bar in the way. Yep the hardest part is yet to come, putting the tank back in and aligning the refill hose while getting a strap started.

vp_exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
All done - swapping to the GSS342 Walbro wasn't really has difficult as I expected.
Once I took the assembly out of the tank, crimped in the patch loom, then assembled the new filter unit and the clips provided, then realised the supplied sheath to cover the pump itself was too large in outside diameter to actually fit snug alongside the long bracket - so replaced the new sheath with the original (marginally perished) sheath.

FINALLY slipped the sender/pump assembly unit back into the tank (even though I took notice how I removed it - made it NO EASIER!!) - then lifted back up under the car.

Hardest part was fitting the polypipe return overflow pipe back horizontally through the bootfloor bracing and up to the filler neck. Prick of a job. Am going to come up with an alternative system and post for future players!

Click click, started no probs - went for a fang.