Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is 20% Tint too dark?

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that if you are in a prang at fault, (even not at fault) your/their insurer might like to teflon themselves by declaring you were knowingly impairing your own vision. Similar to being over the limit!

I would get the advice straight from the RTA and stick with it!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON MY10 SIDI
ive booked in for 35% tommorrow morning as mint says if me or the missus has a prang, then the windows might become a issue if they notice, and im sure if we have a prang at night then we will have no leg to stand on lol

CHEERS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS!!
ill post some pics tommorrow arvo, also go it professionally cleaned and waxed today come up AWESOME!!

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
IMO 35% is way too light, from a looks perspective. have to get at least 20%.

but obviously its different from a legality perspective.

Thesickness86

Thesickness86
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Ve ute
I had 35% on my hilux - found it to be too light, but did take the sting outta the sun.
18% on my vz ute and now 18% on my ve ute - never had a problem with police or insurance. Visibility is great 95% of the time ( as Nathanvs said sometimes need to put the window down when reversing).
Also I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere you are allowed to tint the front window, but not less than 70% though.

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
darkes legal in victoria is 25%
hats what all the shops in my area do......

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I had 35% on my hilux - found it to be too light, but did take the sting outta the sun.
18% on my vz ute and now 18% on my ve ute - never had a problem with police or insurance. Visibility is great 95% of the time ( as Nathanvs said sometimes need to put the window down when reversing).
Also I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere you are allowed to tint the front window, but not less than 70% though.

in victoria(from part of the VSI linked on the first page), front window cant have any aftermarket tint applied, it can be tinted from factory, but at 70% minimum.

darkes legal in victoria is 25%
hats what all the shops in my area do......

no its not, read the VSI on first page. just because the shops do it, doesnt mean its legal.

Thesickness86

Thesickness86
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Ve ute
in victoria(from part of the VSI linked on the first page), front window cant have any aftermarket tint applied, it can be tinted from factory, but at 70% minimum.

It's probably the same in Queensland than too.
Not really any point in aftermarket tinting on the front window if it's only 70%, and any darker would just start getting more and more dangerous