Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
having built many engines my self and stripped lots of high milage engines that have run and were still serviceable after years of running on sludge
my point is a v8 engine is more reliable , cheaper to service and repair, and will last alot longer it abused and not serviced than a turbo engine having been treated the same
thats not crap thats a fact
another armchair expert ,makes me laugh
dude dirty oil roots a turbo engine real quick, heat warps and cracks turbo housings, chews up shaft bearings
a v8 will just keep chugging along for years
enough said believe what you like

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
The HZ was massive inside, so while the VB was smaller, there was still plenty of room.
The ZB downsizing again is turning the commodore into a camry/mazda 6 sized interior. So a mid size car. Not fun when full of 5 people on a long trip.

There's no twin turbo V6 ZB commodore. Holden are asking 55K for a featured up SV6. If it was twin turbo it'd be worth the 55K!

Not twin turbo? Got it wrong again...

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
My neighbours 2.0 Audi turbo just shat itself at 70k and also just out of warranty. They were quoted $5k to get it fixed but after kicking up a stink, Audi came to the party and replaced it.

so thats crap too is it i rest my case
expensive to maintain and repair and unreliable,
give me a v8 any day , buzz box no way:D:D:D:D:D

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
one point you may be missing is is how long will these engines last, a 2.0 turbo and a v6 with twin hair driers is high maintenance.
the v8 engines are very easy and cheap to repair and and anyone doing long interstate drives knows how good they are
i dont think i would like to be in a 2.0 turbo fully loaded on a 45deg + day driving through hay NSW.
the v8s will do well over 400,000 ks with ease and very little maintenance. well maybe some need a rocker change:eek:
a v8 will run for years on old dirty oil thats like sludge, not a hi tech turbo it will quickly crap itself
its not just about power, its also reliability, low maintenance,and long life

You make some seriously good points. If only Holden can listen to your points then they can produce a V8 Commodore again. I doubt it. The electronics will probably fail before the engine does. No one holds onto their V8 for 400,000kms.

I saw a good feature on Sky F1 regarding the old F1 V8s with the great sound as opposed to the current F1 V6 Hybrids. The old F1 V8s does not match the performance to the current F1 V6 Hybrids. That's as technical as I can get...

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
You work for Holden don't you?

There is no twin turbo available in the new Commodore line up. This sort of misinformation from Holden employees does not do the brand any favours.

Yes, I put the word twin turbo in there and it was a mistake. No, I don't work for Holden. Yes, I work at one of the dealers. No, I am not a mechanic. Yes, I am a stupid salesman. Yes, I got it wrong this time. Yes, I apologise. No, I am not a Holden employee.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
You make some seriously good points. If only Holden can listen to your points then they can produce a V8 Commodore again. I doubt it. The electronics will probably fail before the engine does. No one holds onto their V8 for 400,000kms.

I saw a good feature on Sky F1 regarding the old F1 V8s with the great sound as opposed to the current F1 V6 Hybrids. The old F1 V8s does not match the performance to the current F1 V6 Hybrids. That's as technical as I can get...

400 000ks on a v8 is nothing, i have a v8 with well over 400 000 ks, speedo stopped working years ago
removed the heads to replace seals and std bores still have hone marks
i know lots people with very high milage cars , they hang on to them

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My neighbours 2.0 Audi turbo just shat itself at 70k and also just out of warranty. They were quoted $5k to get it fixed but after kicking up a stink, Audi came to the party and replaced it.
That's just because VAG still seems to be making some dodgy stuff ... still.
Every now & again, maybe every year or so, I think I might like something like an Octavia RS245 wagon ... then someone has a story like the above, and it scares me again.

But if you're saying that turbo 4cyl engines are short-lived & VAG is the proof, then I'll suggest V8's are all hand-grenades and point you to the short-lived engine in an Alfa Romeo Monte Carlo as proof. :)

The 3.8s ? Off the line acceleration ? Yep. But north of the posted speed limit ( I was naughty in places) was not confidence inspiring.
It wasn't just performance either ... those engines just hated rotating at those speeds / under those loads. For example, if I return-cruised to Canberra or the Hunter Valley from Sydney in the VS with the cruise-control set to 100 (it sorta works most of the time, just plonked myself in the far left lane & almost never have to consider overtaking) I would get 6.5L/100km back when we first got the car at 11yrs old. But set the cruise to an indicated 120km/h, and suddenly it's 8L/100km. That's a big difference!

Last edited:

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
aren't we talking ls engines , were did a alfa come from ahhh i give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
And i've seen V6 Commodores throw timing chains at 40,000km and V8's wipe cam lobes at 10,000km...it happens. There are also thousands and millions of 4cyl motors sold every year that outlive the lifecycle of the car. Lets not use outliers of data to point to an inherent flaw or issue.

having built many engines my self and stripped lots of high milage engines that have run and were still serviceable after years of running on sludge
Uh-huh.
my point is a v8 engine is more reliable , cheaper to service and repair, and will last alot longer it abused and not serviced than a turbo engine having been treated the same
Bullshit.
Double the amount of oil and spark plugs. Running costs are higher.
Reliability, show me figures that pinpoint your claim that all V8 engines are more reliable than all 4cylinder turbo motors. Please, im waiting.

thats not crap thats a fact
another armchair expert ,makes me laugh
Nope, that's your opinion, and your opinion is based off of no fact.

dude dirty oil roots a turbo engine real quick, heat warps and cracks turbo housings, chews up shaft bearings
a v8 will just keep chugging along for years
enough said believe what you like
Dirty oil is detrimental to any engine and funnily enough so is excessive heat so if your reason for owning a V8 is ultimatly because you're too lazy or cheap to properly maintain it so you feel you have some kind of leniency then no wonder you've had to tear so many engines down.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
meme.jpg