Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Not a chance.
When a garbage brand like Kia can bring a rwd performance sedan to Australia, its truly a disgrace what Holden is offering us

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
I'd rather invest my money into rebuilding up another first gen.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
lolno and I work at a dealer. No ute, no V8, I'm out.

I've owned 5 Commodores and 4 of them have been V8, old habits die hard. I'll keep my two current V8's and they can pry them out of my cold dead hands.

I'm with you, I've had 8 commodores and 4 V8's (including a WH statesman). I can't bring myself to consider this new one (as good as it may be in its own right) as a commodore. No V8 is a killer for me too.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I would rather sell my soul and buy a Camry than drive a fwd Commodore.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Nope. I will look at a 4wd or a Audi (if I have to go European)

I have only owned Aussie 4 door RWD sedans since I learnt to drive.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Absolutely not... and to be honest - I sure as hell hope that "Just Commodores" does not create a NG Commodore section to post under. Maybe rename the site "Just Aussie Commodores"

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
While a Commodore forum may not be the best sample group to ask such a question, I think Holden will sell sfa of the NG Commodore.

The VF is kinda out on it's own - want a V8? want RWD? want Aussie designed and built? There are no other options.

But the next model will be competing with everything from Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, VW Passat, Skoda Supurb.... the list goes on - all solid competent cars competing in a class that doesn't sell much to start with.

My VF is the first Holden I've ever bought, and it looks like it'll be the last.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'm keeping an open mind, current Commodore wise I only have V8's, I had an SIDI SV6 2 years ago, the SV6 was pretty good really. As much as I was happy the 3.6 SIDI V6 given its size. I'm keeping an open mind on the new one. I've never owned a turbo car and I think in principle NA engines are by and large pretty lame. The benefit I see with the trend towards smaller engines with turbos is the torque is generated at much lower revs than an NA engine. From what has been written about the NG the transmission will a nine speed. I would be reading road reports from people who have driven the car and make judgement then. I use my SS also as a tow car for a dual axle caravan, and I figure it's reasonable to assume the NG will be a fail from a towing perspective. It's probably also not so likely I'd buy a new one, but while I think VE/ VF is unnecessarily large for just myself and my wife, the NG seems like a good size. I'm not that keen to go to something the size of a Mazda 3/ Astra/ Focus etc. I do like the 1.6 offered in the Astra RS or RSV, with 147Kw and 300Nm of torque that's the same as my old VS V6 Commodore used to have. It will be interesting what power and especially torque figure the standard 2 litre turbo will have in the NG, Holden say it will be the most powerful engine they have ever had for a base Commodore. Sounds like the V6 will be with AWD upper model. I am 62, so retiring a few years down the track after the NG, I don't see myself spending big bucks on an AWD V6 at that time. VFII's V6's will depreciate pretty quickly if the market takes to the new generation NG. Once the NG is out and the VF has that old generation look, the values of VF (at least V6's) will probably depreciate probably even more so than they do now. At least if you want to stick with the old VF's V6 they should be a good buy.

Comfal

Reaction score
I am keeping an open mind as well. I understand how V8 buyers will not consider the 2018 Commodore but as a V6 buyer I will consider it. (AWD 3.6 not the 2.0 FWD).
The new car will have a 9 speed auto, 230kw and All wheel drive. It will be faster, more economical , handle better and have much more tech than a VF. I am also hoping Holden put a more aggressive front end on it as the Insignia is a little conservative. The deal breaker for me is the price, remembering you can currently get a SV6 BLACK for $36,500 with 5 year warranty. Holden are already stating the new V6 is a premium car so my guess is it will be priced out of the market. They also need to release it with a 5 year warranty as there is a perception that Opel do not make reliable cars.