Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is changing a clutch easy?

wagon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon 3.8 Manual
My clutch is completely gone and i need a new one. Is putting a new one in a job I could do myself with a few mates, or should i just take it to a mechanic? I have access to a hoist which should make things a bit easier if i could do it myself.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
When I needed to do this on my commo, I just got a mechanic to do it. Would have taken me a while and there's a potential to stuff it up and keep you off the road for a bit.

wagon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon 3.8 Manual
I think i am pretty competent. Ill get a clutch aligning tool off my mate and give a go on the weekend. Now i just have to figure how i am going to get my car to the workshop when i cant get up my driveway...
Thanks for the advice mate

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
there is a step by step instructions on the net re changing a VS clutch.. cant seem to find it at the moment but is VERY step by step and tells you what tools to use etc...

and LOL at clutch alignment tool... more like eye-ro-meter...
and id never put loctite on something that will be coming back off in the near future.. thats what torque wrench (if your anal) is for..

good call on the flywheel / grease thou.

give it a crack, worse case, it gets towed to your manachic with 1/2 the labour done :)

tobyhewzie

toby_hewzie
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore S3 ute
its easy but a bitch to do at the same time.
i took mine in, to get replaced about 2months ago. only because i didnt have access hoist and was mainly just lazy. got it back from the mechanic and was running like **** and ended up having to re-do it again myself. and getting into a argument with a stupid mechanic.
so over-all message dont be lazy about it.
but its also good to maybe get some1 whos done this before to help you

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
mate doing a clutch is pretty easy, You dont need the clutch aligning tool but it will make it easier, also i would be putting loctite on even if it's going to come of some time in the future at least you know its in there properly.
Make sure you get the right clutch as well.

wagon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon 3.8 Manual
i can get an aligning tool off my mate really cheaply, so i might as well get it if it will make my job easier.
one thing i forgot was, where is a good place to buy a clutch? do supercheap/bursons/autobarn etc stock them?

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Clutch aligning tools are only $10 from any place that sells you a clutch.. If its the first clutch you have done then give your self a good 8 hours from key off to key on again.... Its a good learning curve...get into it

wagon_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon 3.8 Manual
wow 8 hours, that seems like a lot. i might have to find a mate who has done one before to give me a hand and speed things up a bit