Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it normal??

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
After a month installing the full exhaust system (Harrop), OTR and tune. The car feels a bit "sluggish" and lot "heavier" . Maybe a dumb question...IS THIS NORMAL????? Acceleration doesn't seem to improve but at the high end it holds the gears better...Please, Please, thoughts from who have done the upgrade....WHAT is the NORM?????

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
No it's not normal.

Who tuned it?

If they are a reputable tuner than take it back with your concerns, if you don't feel confident in them, then ask here for some recommendations for other tuners in your area.

Last edited:

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
As panhead said, it's probably the tune if its really noticeable.

However, around Dec last year, the Mrs thought the car was feeling a little sluggish. She's not into cars at all, so I must say I was impressed she noticed. Cars got full exhaust, CAI and tune.

Changed to 95 when the 98 saga broke and although now it could be considered the placebo effect, we both think its perkier with a bees d#*k more get up and go, it definitely starts perfect now and without a doubt the idle is slightly louder, with a more pleasing note.

If you are on 98, you could get someone else to do 2 or 3 mini fills with 98 and 95 so you don't know what your running, that way you can subjectively assess if fuel is playing a part in your problem..........................or you could just get it back to the tuner.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mine felt (and still does) feel like a rocket when compared to pre OTR and tune. I always run it on 98.

was it ok then went sluggish, or has it been like that since the tune ?

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
PeteSS, wish I can say the same. All felt sluggish after the tune, booked it in later on this week to get them check it out. Been running on 98. Let's hope it will turn into a rocket also.

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Got it back from the dyno test and it showed worst performance then before. They say it's the fuel problem, I've been putting in Mobile 98 supreme in but it's showing like it's on 91 fuel. Does anyone know hoe this works??? I'm going to try BP 98 for a few tanks to see any inprovements but if it doesn't I have ran out of ideas. PLEAAAAASSSSEEE ANNYOONNEEE!!

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I try to use BP 98 at all times but a few times I've used Caltex. felt no difference. Mobil is meant to be quite good, so a bit surprised at their comments

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Mobil is a quality fuel, so that's very strange to hear someone say it's a fuel issue.

You said you've only had the work done about a month ago, but keep on top of maintenance with the OTR, clean the filter max every 5000kms. I've know of people to take their cars back to workshops to have the tune looked at because of issues, when the issue the whole time has been the OTR has been full of crap, and the customer never told it needs maintenance.
Another thing, if you're still running a MAF, clean it with some MAF cleaner ideally, or electrical contact cleaner. Oiled air filters, especially if they've been over oiled, can contaminate the MAF and cause issues.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Shell have tampered with their global 98 RON adding a dirt busting additive. Alot of 98 RON in Australia is rebadged Shell from Singapore. These additives are playing havoc with the fuel sensors in the flex fuel cars. Best to switch to 95, 91 or e85.... anything but 98 at the moment.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Shell have tampered with their global 98 RON adding a dirt busting additive. Alot of 98 RON in Australia is rebadged Shell from Singapore. These additives are playing havoc with the fuel sensors in the flex fuel cars. Best to switch to 95, 91 or e85.... anything but 98 at the moment.

BP are the ones who have altered their formula. I'm finding the VZ isn't enjoying it at all and running a little rough. Usually run V Power.