Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is it ok for sparkplug leads to touch engine, bottom of alternator and each other ?

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hey guys , could b a dumb question but i was thinking about the new leads i put on my car , its all running sweet but when i put the new leads on i forgot to cover the 3 leads that go across the top of the engine with the piece of black plastic tubing the 3 leads were sitting in ,under the alternator and to the drivers side 3 sparkplugs , i realize the spark plug leads are insulated but was wondering if i should try to keep the leads from touching each other and the bottom of the alternator (they feed underneath it ) cheers

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
Mine run all over the rocker covers/engine etc... No issues mate dont stress

Garrett

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Doesn't matter so mush if the touch something but you should at least route them away from sharp objects etc, they do damage easily.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Not a major drama but the less contact they have with anything including each other... the better

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
i suppose really my main worry is the 3 leads that run under the alternator , ,i might pull it back off (just put new alternator on ) and put the plastic ribbed tubing back around the 3 leads , cheers again

goldiloxv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ser 2 SS v8 auto
run the engine in complete darkness and look for sparking where the leads touch. If no spark then ok. But if spark you have electrical bleed. Always try to insulate leads with as much stuff as possible.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
when i had CDI in the VK you could watch the spark pulsing through my 8.5mm leads onto the rocker cover.

so yeah nah im sure its fine.

CDI is a different beast, I think their instruction normally suggest running the leads separated where possible.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Every car I have owned since around 1980 has had little plastic brackets to hold the spark plug leads away from each other and off the engine. I am now wondering if the engineers who designed these things were just trying to keep the engine bay pretty or maybe trying to ensure correct firing of spark plugs while reducing the risk of engine fires, which I have seen quite a few of. 60000 volts and a small fuel leak can be fun, for a pyromaniac.

Last edited: