Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it worth fixing???? A little help plz!

iwannanewcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Berlina sportswagon
Hi guys,

Just got my 1993 Vp series 2 station wagon back from the mechanics and they had a list of things I need to repair, I'm tossing up if its worth fixing or just let it go and hopefully I will be able to buy something abit better in a few months. The car has just clicked over to 350,000kms

the report said.....

-Front brakes due in 1,000 to 3,000kms
-Front calipers require overhaul
oil leaking Rocker cover gasket
-Valley gaskets
-Transmission cooler hoses
-Power steering hoses

Transmission mount split
Engine mounts sagged

Any advice would be great.........

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Send it to mang heaven....

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Look at the value of the quote and then do a search on line to see what you get for the same $. If you can get $50 for a trade in then you're laughing.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It really depends on how good the car is overall and if you like it. You could fix all or most of those things yourself and it would not be overly expensive. Also go out and test drive something like a VY or a VZ and then decide. I had a similar choice with my VN and decided to get a more comfortable and safer car.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
It really depends on how good the car is overall and if you like it. You could fix all or most of those things yourself and it would not be overly expensive. Also go out and test drive something like a VY or a VZ and then decide. I had a similar choice with my VN and decided to get a more comfortable and safer car.

I had a old hilux before i bought my ute, an it was going to cost me more to fix the ute up then what it was worth, so i just decided to get a decent car, you wont regret getting a decent car cause it wont/shouldnt let you down

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Then theres people like me that spend all that money that would go into a new car on replacing all the old parts with brand new parts!

Often making brakes, suspension, gearbox, engine, paint etc newer then a new second hand car anyway but in a car I love. I couldn't buy a new second hand car in better mechanical condition then my 20+ year old vn right now.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
that's pretty minimal work to keep an 18 year old car going on the road, at a quick glance and guess i'd say there's about $150-$250 worth of parts if you can do the work yourself should take 2-4 hours if you aren't to sure what your doing, maybe a full afternoon with a few mates and beer involved , it's all pretty easy basic stuff that a gregorys manual would cover

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Do you like your car? Fix it, if you feel it's time for a change, then change cars. That list isn't much of a big deal to fix.

vps231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS s2,Vp S, 180B SSS Project
If your short of cash go to u pull it/pull a part whatever its called in your state, You will find everything u need except gaskets buy them new and fix it your self. I know ppl that dont buy sh#t like brake pads and hoses, They just throw em in the tool box when buying something big from the wreckers!

Nothing better then sitting back after fixing your own car and thinking about the money ya just saved on labour!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If your short of cash go to u pull it/pull a part whatever its called in your state, You will find everything u need except gaskets buy them new and fix it your self. I know ppl that dont buy sh#t like brake pads and hoses, They just throw em in the tool box when buying something big from the wreckers!

Nothing better then sitting back after fixing your own car and thinking about the money ya just saved on labour!

yep and putting another set of oil soaked hard as a rock, brittle 20 year old trans lines will fix that issue, also i don't think i've ever seen a 2nd hand v6 engine mount that was really useable again either, they all sag over time........ as for brake pads, i guess unlike your friends i tend to think brakes are a fairly important feature in any car, not so much that i like to be stopped but i've seen plenty of twits pull out from side streets in front of me and i've managed to not run up their arse cause i don't care about spending $50 on a set of pads.... as for discs sure if they're serviceable use em, if they're majorly below minimum say they're 17mm thick i wouldn't, you don't have to fix it all at once, pick the worst thing and fix it 1 thing at a time, if it's not pouring oil out just a few drops on the concrete after parking over night that can probably wait till your cashed up... if you're putting a liter of p/steering fluid through it every week then it'd obviously be cheaper to spend $20 on enough hose and new clamps to replace it than keep going through oil......

gearbox mount, i see they're on ebay b/new for $35 including postage.... i'd get under the car and make sure that's what the mount looks like before ordering though as commies do have 2 different ones for the v6's from memory

if the engine has a gap between the sump and the k-frame then you could maybe get away with those engine mounts a bit longer, all depends how badly they're sagged though

but at the end of the day if you're happy driving it, can afford the few hundred bucks to fix it, it's a clean car and it'll end up cheaper than buying a new car.. why not fix it
unfortunately they're now at that age where rubber is deteriorating in hoses, mounts and suspension from age/oil etc, if you get another car of the same era you may end up with the same issues.

Last edited: