Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is it worth it

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
hi
my vl executive has 2 discs 2 drums and i wanna change that to a 4 wheel disc setup im just wonderin is it worth it i found a cheap one im pretty sure it will fit with some minor adjustments and such but should i do it
or is it better with the original setup i am going to be doin some minor modifications to the motor nothin major YEt but just need ur thoughts before i put up the cash and dont need it

thanks dan

S

SIKVL

good idea if you can find a VL turbo diff (very rare) i couldn't so i put a VK 10 bolt in mine (LSD from a V8) it wasn't to hard but i needed to lenghten my tail shaft and change the uni (cost about $300 for the tail shaft) you need someone who knows how to mesure how much you need to lenghten it (bout 2.5 inchs from memory) and get it balanced as well(tailshaft should be balanced when it is lenghtened) about a days work but while you got it out change all the control arm bushes while u got it out so you don't have to do them later unless there been done lately.

also you need to change the hand brake cable to a disc brake one as there different.

if your going for a VL turbo diff they just go straght in but again change the handbrake cable

with turbo diffs they have a different ratio so get your speedo checked i think there is only one way to get your speedo right and that is with an adapter for the different ratio u should be able to get that from any good speedo shop(they will road test your speedo and let you know wheather u need it as i think its legal to be like 3% out in your speedo
in my car i went from 3:45 to 3:08 ratio and when my speedo is on 60 i'm doin like 68 or there abouts but when i'm on 100 i'm doin like 115 so be carefull.

hope this helps have fun and let us know what u do

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Definitely upgrade! I can't praise the humble LSD enough (especially in 4WD applications!) If you want to get your increases in power to the ground effectively, then you will need a LSD. The braking power of rear discs is all about smoothness of braking, letting you apply more pressure before locking up.

When I did my power upgrade from 6 to 8, it would have been pointless without putting the goodies in the rear as well. See if you can tag on some cross drilled and slotted rotors as well as some sticky pads at the same time. DBA has them really cheap.

Good luck.