Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my battery cactus?

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by TJohn, Sep 8, 2019.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah replaced under warranty and then the replacement didn't last long either. Bought an Excide come out of the same factory down the Port way it too **** itself. Fitted a Supercharge dual purpose and it has lasted over 5 years. Century are really cheap in Adelaide, if you know where to buy them but hit and miss in the way of reliability.

2. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    Battery is like most things, they need maintenance too, a lot of them sit to long in stock undercharge, worst thing for batteries is leaving them flat to long but u can bring them back to life with charging them at a low voltage, there are even chargers now that can fix the build up on the plates, sulfation is caused when a battery's State-of-Charge drops below 100% for long periods or under charging. Hard lead sulfate crystals fills the pours and coats the plates. Recharging a sulfated battery is like trying to wash your hands with gloves on.

Wont work on all battery's, I've fixed a few in my time but it takes at less a week of charging breaking down the sulfate crystals.

3. Trevor loves holden.

Trevor loves holden. Active Member

Members Ride:
    vs commodore
    I've had Repco, SCA, Exide, Century, all fail within 2-3 years ACdelco and supercharge Gold I find last up to 5 years depending on maintenance and how often you leave your car undriven.

4. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

So what you are saying, it's not a Century battery specific issue, it's an issue that strikes all brands, which really helps anyone decide which brand to buy.....

I was only mentioning my dealings with the brand and what issues LOSH had, so people could use this as a guide on making a decision on what to buy....so perhaps re-read what I've written, along with LOSH and see how your post helps

losh1971 likes this.