Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my car rare?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
the auto always been a little more expensive then the manual but i wouldn't say manual was standard and you had to option auto, if that was the case there would be a lot more manuals out there.

According to a couple of articles I've read, manual is still standard for both falcon and commodore if memory serves. The reason the market is flooded with autos is because most dealer vehicles come "pre-optioned" with the bastard things. Everyone loves the auto's ya know. Friggin piles of slushomatic crap.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
According to a couple of articles I've read, manual is still standard for both falcon and commodore if memory serves. The reason the market is flooded with autos is because most dealer vehicles come "pre-optioned" with the bastard things. Everyone loves the auto's ya know. Friggin piles of slushomatic crap.

My memory of the day when we actually shopped for these cars new. (No hard facts to back any of this up)

Basically the lowest spec car (Commodore Executive or Falcon GL(?)) was a manual with no air conditioning. This was really only for advertising purposes.

Most cars were sold with autos and air.

Government cars mostly came with air. City Government cars mainly came with autos. Some country Government cars came in manuals.

The sporty variants obviously had more manuals.

In the wagons, any manual is rare, V8s even rarer. Someone once quoted that 95% of Commodores in the VN/VP era were autos. I have seen factory Belina V6 wagon with a manual transmission.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the auto always been a little more expensive then the manual but i wouldn't say manual was standard and you had to option auto, if that was the case there would be a lot more manuals out there.

I have the original Vp sales brochure manual are standard on all models except berlina and calais

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
In the VN days and most of the days since the Auto was aobut 2 grand? extra over the manual (which was the default gearbox in the VN/P/R/S) BUT because Holden think they know everything and because most people live in big cities and those same people hate manuals Holden just whacked autos in most of them because they knew most people would want a auto anyway.

My parents bought a brand new VH back in the day and it was a manual, nearly all VH's in my town/area were manuals, it was very odd to see a auto one. But now that all the VH's around here are refugees from the city, they are pretty much all autos. Still even to this day though I can drive 100km inland to the real sticks and find a manual VN for sale any day anytime I wanted one because out there no one wanted a auto

Last edited:

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Valid point!
Were all of them manuals??

Not all of them are manuals, there are various splits depending on the series, im pretty sure the autos still out number the manuals in both series though

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have the original Vp sales brochure manual are standard on all models except berlina and calais

obviously a marketing gimick then, as mentioned above, most dealers optioned em with auto's. holden must have a **** load of manual box's sitting in storrage somewhere then caue not many ever made it into actual cars:whistling

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
I worked for Telecom (Telstra) through the 80's and 90's. All our section's vehicles were full sized wagons, Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores. Every one (and there were plenty) was a 6 cyl 5 speed manual. They bought for a price and the manuals were the cheapest.

The fastest that I recall was a white manual VP Exec wagon, amazing performance from what was the most basic Commodore sold.

Your VP may have been a special order by the first buyer but only because so few were built compared with autos (probably needed to be built rather than found sitting on the floor). I would have been a bit cheaper than an auto and much rarer.

A great car to have and I'm sure a lot of fun to drive. Well done.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Hey were those telstra wagons a custom orange colour? I remember seeing a few orange wagons getting around in Melbourne the few times I've been there

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Can't forget the Cadbury Purple ones haha.

On the VY SS subject, series ones were 250 made in Red, and 250 in black. Not sure if the Trans were split down the middle tho, but most i've seen in SA are manuals.

Series 2 had Silver, not sure if they kept both black and red aswell tho.