Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is optimax crap or is it just me

fatduck84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boring White VT
since i just had my car service (150000) i ran the first tank and got 420 k's still with half a 1/4 left so i filled up with optimax and now out of half a tank i have got 170k, so is this just me or is optimax like this.

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
i had the same thing "better fuel economy" everyone says, doesnt work when u drive it off its tits for that tank full!!

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I wouldn't use it as they had problems in the past and I'm still hearing about them through mechanics better to use the other brands like BP Ulitmate Mobile Synergy 8000 Caltex Vortex & Caltex Vortex98 can't remeber the others.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i use optimax all the time never had any probs, IMO its better for my car than vortex and normal unleaded, and also in the vt u can tell when its running optimax cos fuel lasts longer and car feels better. Ive heard alot of good reviews about the synergy 8000, i havnt tried it cos whenever i need petrol theres never a mobil around

chippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive 3.8l s1, vs s ute 5.0l s3
Optimax is crap, used it in two diffence make of cars, a toyota and my vx and got half the km's than when i use mobil 8000 or caltex vortex 98. Im getting about 540-560km's to a tank.

ashtray1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Atomic Green w/ 20" Supersports
I use Vortex 98 or optimax for my vx v6 as that is what holden recommend using to get the best performance. I am getting around 50-100km further to a tank using 98 RON Fuel than regular unleaded

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
I find bp ultimate 98, excellent in my vx ss, good performance and extra 50/70 kms per tank, depending on how much I use sixth gear. Any high octane fuel is better than normal unleaded, it burns cleaner, producing less build up in manifolds/heads/ring gaps etc. Getting back to your original question of poor fuel economy, have u changed your filters lately? Especially fuel filter, this will improve fuel economy and prolong pump life, also good to check air filter, or invest in CAI. I'm a mechanic, and I see lots of modern cars with blocked fuel filters, if unsure change it, just be carefull with the retaining clips, if u break the tank one u have to replace complete line!!!

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I'm also currently testing the "United Plus ULP" Ethanol 94Octane in my Magna to see how she runs on the stuff I dare not use it in my Holden at this stage. So far the Magna is ideling better then before and yes a slight power increase when taking off.

fatduck84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boring White VT
yeah i now got 300 to 3/4 so its getting beter but still i expected more

helay39

VTV85L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec 5L Manual
caltex vortex 98 and not a problem notice more grunt the the others i have used