Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is there a difference for v8 and v6 diffs?

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
M78 is the V6 diff but they are entirely interchangeable with M80's which are equipped in V8 and V6 Supercharged cars.

Just saw this in a search and had to say, No they are NOT!

At least the pinion bearings, pinion and crown gears, side screw adjusters, carriers and carrier gears are different. Housings probably are as well.. Some set-up specs incl pinion depth are different between the two also.
M76 is M76, M80 is M80. Do not swap parts or expect all specs to be the same between the two types without thorough checking. :)

Easiest way to tell V6 from V6SC/V8 with standard gear sets.
M76-V6 3.08:1 ratio.
M80-V6SC/V8 3.07:1 ratio.
See barcode decal on the housing, or with the back cover off,
3.08=12-37 teeth
3.07=14-43 teeth

Not 100% sure (please correct me if I am wrong) but think M76s only had the 3.08 ratio and no other ratio choice.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think what he means is swapping out the entire diff rather then just swapping over internals which as you correctly pointed out won't work.

No harm, no foul :)

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Good point. Thanks,

Oh, are the 3 bolt and 4 bolt pinion yokes interchangeable?
I did an LSD swap with a regular M80 (EJ / EH swap) and the pinion nuts were different. Not sure why, both were 3.07 ratio.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes as far as I am aware they are. The major problem is that if you fit a 4 bolt flange onto the later style diff you still have the extra stub shaft sticking out which will prevent you from bolting the driveshaft onto the flange. Nothing a grinder and cutting disk can't fix though.

Not sure on the pinion nut sorry.

M8VXS2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina series 2
Hi there, I have a 2001 VX Berlina series 2 V6 auto with 3.08 non LSD diff, I also have a 3.07 LSD diff that come out of a 2002 VX SS, both diff's are complete n both diff's have the 3 bolt flange, so I I'll have no problems pulling the 3.08 diff out n bolting up the 3.07 LSD in it's place,
But can anyone tell me if my V6 tailsharft will bolt straight up to the 3.07 flange or do I need to change it

Cheers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are 2 different size drive shaft couplings with the V6 been smaller so no that won't be a direct bolt on. Best bet is to take a measurement between 2 bolts on each diff flange and compare before doing the transplant.