Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is this the “air hammer” intake people talk about or just an eBay copy?

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Hi all,
Just want to put an intake on my SV6. Has anyone experienced this intake:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1254936...2Wtt3XRR2+JdWm7ozVCLJPY3PN3Q|tkp:BFBMuNGD2Ydi

OR… should I pick up a second hand growler intake for around the same price or less? Is it true that the Growler intake, by SS inductions, will loose low-end power?

Which would be better in terms of feeding the engine cold air and gaining, or at the very least, not loosing torque?

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It would be, ok but the filter needs to be in a housing or it will likely pull hot air from the engine bay.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
It would be, ok but the filter needs to be in a housing or it will likely pull hot air from the engine bay.
That’s what I thought. But it doesn’t include a shield though. It sits behind the wheel arch I believe.
Should I go the growler then if that’s the case or just make a shield for the air hammer intake?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That would be sht show. Under the guard, hit a deep puddle and the engine is rooted.

Have under the bonnet and loose power as it sucks in hot air resulting in less power.

An OTR is the better option and all options will need a tune to change the parameters for the air flow.

All that you get from that is something that looks cool to some and less performance.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
That would be sht show. Under the guard, hit a deep puddle and the engine is rooted.

Have under the bonnet and loose power as it sucks in hot air resulting in less power.

An OTR is the better option and all options will need a tune to change the parameters for the air flow.

All that you get from that is something that looks cool to some and less performance.
I’d hate for the engine to drink a nice puddle of water, so that intake is off the cards. Would the gain an OTR provides be worth the difference between the price of the Growler and the OTR? There are a few near me selling for about $200 used

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There isn’t much you can do with an Alloytec to get much out of it.
Well, unless you have some serious coin.

I’d leave it stock because if you change the intake, you’ll need to have the car tuned or its engine management data will be all over the shop. So add a lot to the $200, cheap intake.
That would be why there is so many cheap ones around. People fit them and then their car runs worse and they can’t afford the tune to suit.

The VE uses a lot of sensors to measure everything and keep it all going as best as possible. Change one of those things and it’s all out.

The days of adding a pod filter to a car to get extra out of it are over, a long time ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree with Fu, the gains won't be worth the cost.

Best way to wake these engines up is with boost. But that's a lot of coin.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I may as well leave it as I’m not planning to waste a lot of coin on it. I just want to wake it up a bit really. I would rather put some hard earned coin towards a more capable platform in due time.
Cheers for the input, though

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Diff gears will wake it up. Still need a trans tune to suit the new ratio though.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Agreed some shorter diff gears will definitely make it more lively but if your planning on buying another car your probably better just putting the money you’d spend towards that