Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issue lining up key way when refitting crank harmonic balancer/pulley

Yogi.ovespicnics

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Wagon V6 3.8 Ecotec
VYII Wagon 2004 Ecotec V6.

Removed crank pulley and fitted new cam and crank sensors this morning. Problem I am having is lining up keyway when putting pulley/balancer back on. She is a tight fit and when I attempt to rotate balancer by hand to find where keyway fits, the crank just turns, and I’m getting nowhere fast. What is the best method of lining up the keyway please? I’m wondering if I need to lock flywheel somehow by removing starter motor and jamming it somehow? I can see what looks like two locating pins on back of balancer, and there is a fourth hole in front side that is not associated with the three balancer pulley bolt holes. First time doing this job. I’m a 64 disabled pensioner with poor eyesight who doesn’t know what he can’t achieve, and am working kerb side outside of our home. Determined to get this done somehow!

Really want to fix it up tomorrow if I can, as I want to drive down to Sydney to pick up our 36 yo autistic son Thursday as he loves going to Chromefest up here at The Entrance, NSW. Plan to have him up here for the weekend before taking him back to his carers at his own pad in Manly - bloke wants to be as independent as he can and is getting by as best as he can.

I would be grateful for any advice out there from you younger blokes that know these engines inside out - or another old codger who knows more than I do! Love my VY - did 630,000 kms in my last one before upgrading to this 190,000 kms example. Will see me to the grave I reckon..

Thanks folk for any tips you may have.

Reactions: Lex

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Never done a VY but I would suggest making sure said keyway and key are at the top (do it by feel if you have crook eyes) and don't try to spin the balancer on, simply push with a bit of a wiggle same as you would when you ?? oh never mind.
Now as for driving to Sydney, hmmm, that scares me if you have crook eyes.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I line the key way in the balancer up with the key in the crank snout as best I can and then crank the sucker on with the bolt. I never put the balancer on the end of the crank snout and then try to turn it to line it up.

But seeing as you are already turning the crank, turn it till the key way at at the top, then pull the balancer off again, line up the balancer with the key way also at the top and crank it on.

Yogi.ovespicnics

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Wagon V6 3.8 Ecotec
Many thanks fellas. I found the fit so tight that I decided to linish the inner and outer surfaces of the balancer a bit, until I could get it to turn on the shaft without turning the crank as well. Made it much easier to line up keyway. Put goop in keyway to avoid oil leak and tightened up crank bolt. All back together again and running like a dream. Many thanks for the advice and support!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good to hear it's sorted.