Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issue with door lock

00GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 GTS, HSV VT Clubsport R8, VY2 Clubsport
Hi guys, I've been having issues lately with my vy2 clubby.

When I go to lock the doors of the car it generally locks up just as it should.

However I noticed on days, if I was to "tap" the door or window the car just unlocks itself with the alarm still activated meaning as soon as I go and open that door it goes off.

Seems to happen on hot days but not sure if the temperature has anything to do with it.

I also notice at times, not always but at times the car will lock itself as soon as I turn the car off after a drive.

I was told by the previous owner he had replaced the driver side actuator.

Any help would be great, would love to solve all these issues or if there is someone in the Sydney area you would recommend me that would be great.

Thank you!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Just be careful about any suggested solutions to your problem. You don't want to upset the HSV ESS.

HSV EMBEDDED SECURITY SYSTEM (ESS)

The HSV Embedded Security System (ESS) is a micro-processor controlled immobiliser which automatically interrupts four essential electrical circuits when in armed mode, preventing the vehicle from starting. The ESS stores important security codes and every time the vehicle is started it reads these codes. If any of these codes are different from the stored codes the ESS emits five beeps, enters armed mode, and prevents the vehicle from starting. If the ESS receives the correct codes it emits a single beep and allows the vehicle to start.

Operation of the ESS requires no extra input from the owner above the normal procedure of starting the vehicle. When ignition is switched off the module automatically enters armed mode. Disarming the system is achieved simply by inserting a correct key into the ignition barrel and turning it to the on position. Confirmation of the disarm is provided by a single beep. Conversely, if the vehicle enters armed mode when the ignition is turned on five beeps are emitted.

The ESS has been designed so that in the event of power loss to the system (flat battery or theft attempt) it will return to the same operating state when power is restored. For example, if the system is operating in armed mode when the power is interrupted, it will return to the armed condition when power is restored.

To further enhance vehicular security the module is placed in a difficult to access location and is embedded into the vehicles main wiring harness. All wiring to the module is the same colour and of the same wire gauge.

A Security Information Card is supplied with the vehicle which contains the ESS PIN. This PIN is required by the authorised service agent in the event of either a Body Control Module (BCM) replacement or if new keys need to be programmed to the vehicle. The service agent contacts Australian Arrow Pty Ltd quoting this PIN. They then get the PIN converted to a particular security code which corresponds to a sequence of vehicular functions. By performing this sequence, which is different for every vehicle, the vehicle can be fitted with a new BCM or have new keys programmed to it. There are approximately 60,000 different codes available.

The HSV ESS is an electronic immobiliser which derives its main power feed from the car battery. However, the current consumption when the ignition is turned off is zero so there will be no adverse effects to your car battery.

00GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you for that, I never knew about that.

Can anyone recommend any professionals who are currently dealing with HSVs who can have a look at it? Would like someone with experience with these kinds of issues.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
For starters, I'd be going over the previous owners work, of replacing the drivers doorlock actuator.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
sounds like the actuator is on the edge of the adjustment limit. The slightest bump or jiggle and the microswitches trigger, which in turn then operate the other locks as well. Replace it or adjust it if still good. Genuine best, getting hard to find new. I had same problem.

00GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like the actuator is on the edge of the adjustment limit. The slightest bump or jiggle and the microswitches trigger, which in turn then operate the other locks as well. Replace it or adjust it if still good. Genuine best, getting hard to find new. I had same problem.

Thanks mate, i will look into that!