Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Issues with VY'S

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Sorry, I am new to this forum. I am just wondering if there is a thread about how to repair the front ash tray, or if there is no thread, if someone can tell me how to do it....Mine is open and won't close... Thanks :)

I fixed mine by firstly removing the unit I noticed that it worked when I held it sideways with the locking mechanism to the top. I held it horizontal and it would not close unless I pushed lightly on the small locking arm that pivots on the main body. I took the little arm off it's pivot on the body and cut a small piece of waxed paper, you know the backing off a sticker and made a small hole in it and put it over the arms pivot point before replacing the arm. It works fine now. If that doesn't work you can buy a whole new unit and face fairly cheaply from Holden.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi guys im new in this forum, i have a problem with my 02 vy exec. my horn goes of at random when the car is parked in the driveway. does any1 have any suggestions what the problem might be.

Early production VY's had a metallic label stuck on the back of the airbag. As the car ages, the glue weakens and enables the label to come away from the airbag slightly, but still remain attached to it. The lable shorts out the horn contacts in the steering wheel.

The cure is to remove the airbag, pull off the sticker, then re-attach the airbag.

Make sure whoever does the job only tackles the job after disabling the airbag, by unhooking the earth terminal on the battery and removing the SRS fuse.

rickyvansleve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
my vy exec has rear driverside leak in heavy rain anyone know what the problem is or a good place for it to be fixed?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
my vy exec has rear driverside leak in heavy rain anyone know what the problem is or a good place for it to be fixed?
Check door seal is positioned correctly. Apply a bit of silicon lube to the seal to make it supple so it seals better.

Try sitting inside while someone else hoses down the car to see if you can pinpoint the leak.

It could also be blocked drainage holes in the door - at the bottom of the door there are a series of slits that allow water to drain out from inside. If they get blocked with dirt the door can fill up and overflow into the cabin.

If it's none of that then check the rear window isn't leaking, or there isn't a rust hole letting water in (doubt it, VY's shouldn't have rust that badly yet!)

a.vy!

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know this is probably a stupid question but is a common problem with auto vy's, but how can I fix the leather were its come out on the facia? here's a pic:

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

paynetrainvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive s2
I know this is probably a stupid question but is a common problem with auto vy's, but how can I fix the leather were its come out on the facia? here's a pic:

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Gunna have to take the entire console fascia off an loosen off the screws holding the selector in place. Theres little tabs underneath the black fascia where the boot is an holds it in place. If the holes have stretched (which it looks like) you'll either have to glue the boot in place or replace the boot

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've got 3 issues and all appear to be common and covered in this forum.

1# diff clunk- rolling at low speeds (fixed now) and accelerator pressed while rolling under 40 Kms (still not fixed as diff man swears its not diff but I disbelieve and haven't had time to fix.

2# central locking not unlocking all passenger doors when button pressed (only in cold weather) its bcm issue people it's not actuator as have had many replaced with new and no improvement.

3# glove box gap slanted left. Never bothered looking into it.

Other than that she seems to treat me well!

.Fisher.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy storm
serpentine belt? im having the same issue, thought it was the engine belt replaced it but still makes a squeaky noise on start-up when cold. i think it may be the idler pulley also

mherm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais S1
1# diff clunk- rolling at low speeds (fixed now) and accelerator pressed while rolling under 40 Kms (still not fixed as diff man swears its not diff but I disbelieve and haven't had time to fix.

What was the fix? mines does the same thing.

3# glove box gap slanted left. Never bothered looking into it.

Same issues, i'm missing a rubber plug / locator on the LH side.

Also got a miss on idle. Have replaces plugs, leads, oil, oil filter. PCV hose has recently been replaced. Check that anyone and valve is working properly.

Any other common / quick checks for idle miss?

.Fisher.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy storm
Leaking coolant

hello people of the jc forums, purchased vy storm ute 6mnths ago. I have very basic knowledge of cars.
engine temp hot light came on last week, checked coolant and oil everything was fine topped up to oil ( was on the add line)
three or so days later it came on again checked it when i got home 2-3 mins later no coolant. It is obviously leaking somewhere
had the car running with the bonett up and radiator cap off bubbles appear but for the life of me cannot see any visual leaks
Just filled it up and when for a 5 min drive tempreture fluctuated a little just under half to 3/4 then back down then as a was pulling into my driveway
ding ding ding overheating checked the hoses no pressure...
my mates thinks it would be the head gasket and or head
any advice would be much apprieciated

Josh