Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It all started with a broken timing belt

Simion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Hi Peoples I'm after a bit of advise...I did a timing belt on my VL I think I found top dead centre( both valves closed, piston at top of stroke, rotor pointing to no. 1, 1st mark from the left on harmonic lined up with mark on timing cover) replaced the belt retensioned according to the Haynes manual turned it over had what sounded like huge exhaust leak and not enough power to move the car, took head off, reseated valves, replaced 5 broken exhaust studs put it all back together and won't go. Did computer diagnosis all came back clear except speed sensor cause I can't move the car, can only get orange-red spark from grounded coil lead and spark plug when the manual says it should be blue. Any ideas would be appreciated :bang:

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
if you broke the belt while the car was running you valves will be bent... time for a new set

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
ouch, that sounds expensive, is it?

BIT_SUS

only dogs chase cars
Reaction score
Website
www.perthcruisers.com
Members Ride
TTvk,gts kitted VL
broken valves haha if ya lucky maybe a couple of bent conrods aswell.
id say get a second hand engine or rebuild it cheif..

lil_oneblue

Reaction score
Members Ride
HZ Sandman Ute, HZ GTS, VT Senator
PM me if ya interested in a near new head (only 20,000km) or if you want a good s/h one thats done about 200,000. or even if you just want valves i have a head that is cracked that i can pull apart for bits u may need.
cheers
jason

Simion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Timing belt broke as the car was started no bent valves, they were checked, no marks on piston tops or anything indicating any strike damage between valves and piston top, will do a compression test today see what comes up.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
borrow a friends coil and do a quick swap and see if that changes the spark colour.

Simion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I replaced the coil yesterday and no difference, I tested the power transistor and it isn't that either, the crank angle sensor has been replaced a few times over the years but that always shows up on the computer diagnosis test and it didn't come up this time. I've got a spare CAS but doesn't sound like the CAS has gone. :bang:

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
did you reset the ecu?