Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It pays to shop around...

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Don't get me wrong, the dealer is generally good and I'm happy with the work they do. It's just that dealers don't like repairing parts it seems. If something isn't right, they'll simply order a new one. Although I must say that it seems the rear muffler was ok (that part alone was $1400..) and old mate at the exhaust shop just straightened the bracket out..

Yep, that is what the world is coming to and it highlights the difference between a tradesman, and a salesman.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Off topic, but It's just the way things are these days.
It's s throw away society. Rather than charge say $120/hr for repairers: sell foreign made parts at a huge markup; pay staff SFA to fit them; increase profit! Let the Govt worry about the economy. But let's not complain, when we become a country dependent on imported goods, with high unemployment, falling prices, declining demand, deflation and a lower standard of living.
Note to self - Don't post drunk.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Given the fixed price servicing, I gave the dealer a go for our first service.
Had some warranty items fixed at the same time.
Got it back with scuffs, scratches, trim damage, and had to reassemble half the stuff they'd fitted myself.

Back to the brilliant indy mechanic I've been using for years, despite the inconvenience of travelling 1.5hrs extra each way on service-day.
And he costs no more than the "capped" servicing at a Holden dealer where they damage my car ...

I totally agree that nine times out of ten, the independent will do just as good of a job, if not better than the dealer. However, you need to take into consideration that the dealer is privy to information from the company regarding software updates, silent recalls and other issues which are fixed (sometimes unbeknown to the owner) come service time. While the independents are just as good at plain old servicing, it's this information they miss out on.

A prime example was my last service, when I picked it up they told me they reflashed the ECU in line with a tech bulletin from Holden regarding LS3 idling issues. The mechanic down the road would have had no idea about that..

Otherwise, when it comes to repairs (as I've just found out), then absolutely shop around!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I used to work at a dealership a few years ago and you are absolutely spot on with your assumption.
Nothing was ever repaired, it was always replaced. At least where I was working anyway.
When I questioned the workshop foreman about this practice of just replacing parts I was told "We make more money by upselling the customer a new part plus charging the allowed labour time to fit it, instead of charging them an hour labour to fix some shitty little problem."

Yep, they don't seem to care about building up a relationship with the client anymore, in the same way that a lot of smaller places do. If it wasn't for the fact that I like seeing a Holden stamp on each page of my service book, and the fact that dealers are privy to tech bulletins etc..I'd be back to my indy in a heartbeat

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I totally agree that nine times out of ten, the independent will do just as good of a job, if not better than the dealer. However, you need to take into consideration that the dealer is privy to information from the company regarding software updates, silent recalls and other issues which are fixed (sometimes unbeknown to the owner) come service time. While the independents are just as good at plain old servicing, it's this information they miss out on.
I know; it's a choice between getting the benefit of stuff like recall programs & paying less for stuff like SatNav map upgrades & getting the car damaged, or NOT getting the car damaged & having someone service it properly. Not the greatest of choices, but I decided that damage was harder to deal with.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I will always prefer my mechanic's signature over a dealer stamp in any car

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
It's certainly a different experience between working with the dealerships and independents. I've always preferred dealing with the independents. As with this experience, I've found the independents will try to repair the issue first rather than default to the complete replacement approach which is $$.