Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

It seems I was conned :-(

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
No. Support the engine and drop the K-frame and it can be done.
If you liked the car, why didn't you make a deal and have Holden fix it and give the car yard the bill?

Why has no one else suggested this?

It was only in your other thread you were saying you can't stop going to look at her in the shed... At least this way all work would be completed, and inspected.... You might buy another one a 6months later the rear main rears it's ugly head?...

I'd maybe suggest to throw on the full service as part of the bill also ;)

The worst they can say is no, and you end up where you are now - with your money back....

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Yeah that is a good point. It isn't much good to the car yard and you like the car. Why don't you have a grown up talk with them and strike up some sort of deal, car yards usually have handshake agreements with a local mechanic shop so they get a better deal. $4k for that work is excessive, especially as the majority can be done together.

The leaking rear main is quite a common LS1 issue so at least you'd know yours was new.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Do you need to take the engine out to put the engine mounts in? One mechanic I just called said no and holden say yes.

As has been said, doesnt need to be taken out. But when you're doing that much work it would probably be worth the time and effort to rip the motor out and reseal it on an engine stand, doing the rocker cover gaskets aswell as inlet manifold etc.

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden VZ SS Commodore
Hi Guys,

I decided to keep the car. The dealer is an ass and wouldn't help at all and renegged on giving my money back. I have taken the car to a mechanic and having the work done for $1k which includes the rear seal and mounting plate, the sump and engine mounts.

Was just thinking, does the gearbox mount need to be changed if the engine mounts are screwed?

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
Hi Guys,

I decided to keep the car. The dealer is an ass and wouldn't help at all and renegged on giving my money back. I have taken the car to a mechanic and having the work done for $1k which includes the rear seal and mounting plate, the sump and engine mounts.

Was just thinking, does the gearbox mount need to be changed if the engine mounts are screwed?

What!? Did you at least negotiate a partial refund, or compensation? Did you get a RWC?

Something doesn't smell right...

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Wait, what?

What's omitted from your story earlier then? If it's exactly as you have said, then he's pretty well rooted now....?

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
You are entitled to your money back or for them to make it roadworthy. Why cop it. I don't think we are getting the whole story

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden VZ SS Commodore
When we viewed the car in the first place the car had issues. Windscreen was cracked, bonnet struts needed replacing, the front seat was broken, rear left tail light was missing a clip, radio needed the pin code, side mirrors worked intermittently, two wheel caps missing, antenna broken and glove box was rooted.

The car had done 180,000km and they had $6888 on it rego until september and we went in at $4500 and the guy wouldn't budge and stayed at $6888 we ended up getting it at $5682 with new windscreen and the rest of the stuff as is except for the seat which they insisted on fixing for the car to pass the RWC. After ummming and ahhhhinh we accepted their offer. We test drove it and it seemed great and we went over it as best we could looking for leaks, brake pads. Checked the engine bay and all seemed good. We didn't get under it. Let me point out that we assumed the car as is meaning it would pass a road worthy and they insisted on the seat anyhow. We put down a deposit of $1000 and signed the contracts and the dude said it would be ready tuesday and the windscreen would go in Monday and would take 12hrs to set. The internet showed 2-4hrs. Went in Monday to see how it was going and the dealer said I was just about to call about your windscreen and did it in front of us and Wesnesday was booked in. Called wednesday 3 times with no call back and eventually got a call to say they had to order parts for the seat and thursday would be the day. Called 3 times thursday and eventually told to come at the end of the day as they were still doing the seat. We arrive at 5pm and are standing around for 20 mins twiddling thumbs and the sales guy says just taking the car. We thought he was moving it for us to drive away but instead he drove away. 40 minutes later he hadn't returned. I then walk over to the managers office and he says come in and that the car has been taken for its RWC. All I could think is it is 6 o'clock at night shouldn't this have been done earlier. The car comes back and we are told the mechanic wasn't there so the rwc couldn't be done but we can take the car as long as we come back the next day to do the rwc and it will take 10 mins. I mentioned i had the car booked into holden for a service and can't see why holden cant do the rwc and the manager said holden will just pick apart the car and not pass. I said if there is nothing wrong with it there is no problem and he ageed. I paid the remainder and we left. Took the car to holden this morning and when I got home noticed oil on the garage floor. I called the dealer first and asked where the leak was coming from in the car and be said he didn't know and I said surely the car has had a report done from your mechanic before sale and he said the car had just arrived at the dealership when you purchased it so nobody has looked at it. That seems weird as it had been detailed and had a price put on it. He said the leaks can only come from a few places, get holden to find them then call him back. I called holden and that is when they said there are some serious problems with the car and mentioned the main seal and sump and 4k to fix it. I called the dealer and he said that price is ridiculous and his mechanic can do a better price. I jumped the gun at that point and said I can't trust your mechanic and it is holden or nothing. He said come and get your money back then and I agreed. After picking the car up I rang around some places and got quotes ranging from $700 - $1800 and called the dealer to let him know. He said come down so we can discuss it. I went down there and he said his mechanic can do it for $550 and that I needed to pay for it. I said but you need to pay it because you owe me a road worthy car. He said I discounted the car and there is no more money in it so either I pay the $550 or take your money back. We argued for quite some time about it and he didn't budge so we left taking the car and I took it to a mechanic who charged $1k and. I can't trust the dealer or their mechanic. After the car is done we will get the rwc and take it to the dealer where the rego will be transferred.

BoostedDave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8
Dude, NO!

You have no reason to have to pay anything extra to get this done, the car was sold without a RWC, the car is also not passable for a RWC either (oil making its way to floor = fail). If you weren't happy with his offer, just take your money back. I know you may be attached to the car, but don't do this! You may as well just let him know your reporting him also, he'll brown his undies.